This recipe for ambrosia salad is a variety of colorful fruit with marshmallows and coconut, tossed in a light and creamy dressing. An easy salad that’s a classic for good reason, people always beg me for the recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Have you ever had ambrosia salad before? It’s something I remember being drawn to as a kid – I mean, the creamy fruit is good and all, but I was ALL about the marshmallows. As an adult, I’m still all about the marshmallows! I’ve made a few small changes to the classic recipe to create my own version of this salad. I start with a combination of fresh and canned fruit. You can use all fresh or all canned, but I like the flavor and texture combination of both. I’m using pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries and fresh sliced grapes.
The dressing for this ambrosia salad couldn’t be any easier – it’s simply a combination of fresh whipped cream and vanilla Greek yogurt. Now, I know that whipped topping is a more traditional ingredient, I just prefer the flavor of real whipped cream. You can absolutely use whipped topping instead, and I’ve made a note of how much to substitute in the recipe. I use the Greek yogurt because it adds a bit of tang that cuts through the sweetness of the fruit, but sour cream also works if you prefer that. The fruit gets tossed in the dressing and then coconut and mini marshmallows are folded in. You can add nuts if you like, walnuts or pecans are a great choice.
After your salad is finished, you can serve it immediately or store in the fridge for up to 6 hours. The maraschino cherries may add a pink tint to the salad, you can reduce the chance of this happening by drying them well before they get added to the salad.
I like to decorate the top of my ambrosia salad with additional fruit, marshmallows and mint sprigs. This salad is a real crowd pleaser that’s ready in 10 minutes! I’ve included a video to demonstrate just how easy it is to make!
- 1 20-ounce can of pineapple chunks drained
- 1 11-ounce can of mandarin oranges drained
- 1 10-ounce jar of maraschino cherries drained
- 1 1/2 cups green grapes cut in half
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup of heavy cream or 1 1/2 cups of whipped topping
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Optional: 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
- Optional garnishes: maraschino cherries mint sprigs, coconut
- Beat the heavy cream with a mixer just until stiff peaks form. Gently stir in the sugar. Alternatively, place the whipped topping in a medium bowl.
- Fold the yogurt 1/4 cup at a time into the whipped cream or whipped topping.
- Add the pineapple, oranges, grapes, coconut and marshmallows to the whipped cream mixture. Gently stir until the fruit is coated.
- Stir in the cherries and nuts if using.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with additional cherries, coconut and mint sprigs if desired.