This Waldorf salad is a combination of apples, grapes, celery and walnuts, all tossed in a creamy dressing. An easy and refreshing salad that’s perfect as a side dish or lighter main course.
Waldorf salad is one of those traditional recipes that never goes out of style. That combination of sweet fruit and crunchy walnuts just can’t be beat! Waldorf salad is super easy to make, and you can have it on the table in about 10 minutes. How can you go wrong with that?
What is Waldorf salad?
Waldorf salad is a blend of apples, celery, walnuts and grapes tossed in a mayonnaise based dressing. It is often served over lettuce leaves as a light meal or side dish. This salad got its name because it originated at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in 1896. This salad was not created by the chef at the hotel, instead it was created by the dining room manager!
How do you make Waldorf salad?
The hardest part of this recipe is dicing all the fruit! This salad consists of apples, grapes, celery and walnuts, which are all chopped into bite sized pieces. I like to use both red and green apples because it adds a nice pop of color and extra flavor. The dressing consists of just 4 ingredients and is tossed with the fruit and vegetables to create a creamy blend. Add a little bit of parsley and chopped fruit for garnish and you’re ready to eat!
How do you keep apples from browning in salad?
The dressing for this salad contains lemon juice which helps to keep the apples from browning. It’s important to toss the apples in the dressing as soon as they’re cut so that they make contact with the acid in the lemon juice.
Waldorf salad variations
While I typically make this salad exactly as written, sometimes I switch up the ingredients a bit for a different flavor experience.
- Protein: This salad is great with grilled chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Dressing: While mayonnaise is the traditional base for the dressing, plain yogurt is also a great choice.
- Dried Fruit: Dried cranberries or raisins would be a great addition to this salad.
- Nuts: While walnuts are a popular choice for this salad, you can also use pecans or almonds if you prefer.
Can you make Waldorf salad in advance?
You can make this salad up to 4 hours before you plan to serve it. Store the salad in a covered container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. Add the parsley and any additional fruit you’d like to garnish with right before serving.
There’s a reason why this salad has stayed popular for so many years – it’s totally delicious! This salad is a welcome addition to a potluck, you can serve it in lettuce cups as an appetizer, or even add some chicken and serve it on bread as sandwich. Regardless of how you choose to serve it, this salad will be a hit.
More salad recipes you’ll love
For the salad
- 1 1/2 cups apples cut into 1/2 inch pieces, I use red and green
- 3/4 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 cup grapes halved
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place the apples, celery, grapes and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit and toss to coat. Sprinkle with parsley then serve, garnished with additional fruit if desired.