This recipe for tilapia fish tacos is seasoned fish layered with cabbage, avocado and a tropical salsa, all tucked inside warm corn tortillas. It’s a meal that’s fast, fresh, healthy and ready in 20 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for
We do tacos for dinner almost every week at my house. Not only are tacos easy to make, but I also love that they’re highly customizable which can be important when you’ve got picky eaters! These tilapia fish tacos are tilapia fillets seared to perfection, then layered with cabbage, and topped with a colorful tropical salsa and avocado slices. Taco perfection I tell you!
If you’re not into tilapia, any mild white fish will work. I used a combination of pineapple, mango and papaya for the tropical salsa, but you could just choose one or two fruits if you prefer.
These tilapia tacos can be on your table in just about 20 minutes, which makes this meal perfect for those nights when there’s no time to whip up an elaborate dinner. You can even make the salsa in advance and shave a little more time off the prep work in the evening.
These tilapia fish tacos with tropical salsa are now a part of our regular dinner rotation. It’s such a great combination of flavors and textures, and the bright colors make this dish as pretty as it is delicious. Happy eating!
Tilapia Fish Tacos with Tropical Salsa
- 1 pound of tilapia fillets a different variety of mild white fish will also work
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 11/2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 cup of finely diced tropical fruit such as mango, pineapple, papaya or a combination
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- the juice of 1 lime
- 6 corn tortillas
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Season the tilapia with the chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the fish in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until just cooked through.
- While the fish is cooking, in a medium bowl combine the tropical fruit, red bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.
- To assemble the tacos: divide the cabbage evenly between 6 corn tortillas. Break up the fish into large pieces and add it on top of the cabbage. Finish the tacos with the tropical salsa and avocado slices then serve immediately.