This recipe for fried shrimp tacos is a pile of crispy shrimp that’s layered with cilantro lime cabbage slaw and avocado relish then stuffed inside warm flour tortillas. It’s a quick and easy meal that tastes like it came from a restaurant!
I went to college in San Diego, and aside from the year round beautiful weather and amazing beaches, another hallmark of the area is the seafood. There are fish taco restaurants everywhere you look in San Diego, and as a college student looking for an inexpensive yet delicious meal I frequented them often. Although it’s been years since I lived there I still love a good seafood taco, especially when shrimp is involved. But who has time to bread and fry dozens of shrimp to make a simple taco? Not me. These fried shrimp tacos use frozen SeaPak® Popcorn Shrimp which means you can have a restaurant quality meal in under 30 minutes!
How do you make fried shrimp tacos?
Let’s talk about the shrimp first. You may not know this, but there are many high quality seafood products in the freezer section! I prefer to buy frozen shrimp because it’s so handy to have them in my freezer for whenever the mood strikes. I buy my SeaPak shrimp in the frozen fish aisle at Walmart.
I used SeaPak Popcorn Shrimp for this recipe, a party sized box of their Beer Battered Shrimp would also be a nice option.
There are three components to these fried shrimp tacos: the shrimp, a cilantro lime slaw and avocado relish. The slaw is a simple mixture of purple cabbage, lime juice, cilantro and olive oil. You can whip it up on the spot or make it a day in advance. The avocado relish can be put together while the shrimp are in the oven. Add a drizzle of sour cream and you’ve got a delicious meal. I have to say, I think these tacos are even better than what I used to get in San Diego!
These fried shrimp tacos are most definitely going on my regular dinner rotation – even the kids loved them! If you love shrimp as much as I do, visit the SeaPak website for more great recipe ideas and to check out their other products.
So talk to me about shrimp – what’s your favorite way to eat it? I know my new favorite way – these tacos!
More great taco recipes
Fried Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Relish
For the tacos
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 Party Size box of SeaPak Popcorn Shrimp
- 1/3 cup sour cream
For the slaw
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
For the avocado relish
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Optional garnishes: lime wedges and cilantro sprigs
- For the slaw: Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and honey in a small bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the cabbage in a medium bowl, add the lime juice mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in the cilantro. Taste the slaw and add more salt and pepper if needed. The slaw can be made up to 1 day in advance.
- For the avocado relish: In a small bowl toss gently toss together the avocado, red onion and cilantro.
- Add the lime juice and stir to combine. Add salt to taste.
- To assemble the tacos: Prepare the SeaPak Popcorn Shrimp according to oven directions on the package.
- While the shrimp is in the oven, warm your tortillas.
- Place 3-4 tablespoons of slaw onto each tortilla. Top with the popcorn shrimp (divide the shrimp evenly across the tortillas). Place 2 tablespoons of avocado relish on top of the shrimp. Add a drizzle of sour cream, approximately 2 teaspoons per taco, then serve immediately.
- Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs if desired.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShrimpItUp #CollectiveBias