This post is sponsored by Smithfield. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
This recipe for sweet potato hash is full of ham, veggies and sweet potatoes – add a fried egg and you’ve got brunch perfection!
One of the best parts about the holidays is the food! I always make a ham as the main course of our holiday dinner; it’s a show stopping entree and it’s so easy to make too! We always have a lot of ham left over, and aside from the usual ham sandwiches, one of my favorite ways to do ham is in this sweet potato hash.
This sweet potato hash is a mixture of ham, sweet potatoes, red onion and bell pepper, all cooked together in a pan and topped with fried eggs. I start with sweet potatoes that have already been cooked. You can boil, steam or roast your sweet potatoes until they’re just tender – if they’re too soft, they’ll break apart in the hash. I often just cook up a few extra sweet potatoes when I’m preparing my sweet potato casserole for the main event, then store the extra potatoes in the fridge until it’s time for hash.
I always buy a Smithfield Spiral Sliced Smoked Ham for our holiday dinners, my family just loves it! I dice up my leftover ham and reserve it specifically for this breakfast delight. Smithfield Spiral Sliced Hams come in a variety of flavors, everything from their Signature Glaze (which I love!) to Salted Caramel Glaze. These hams are available in grocery stores nationwide and you can make so many simple yet delicious meals from the leftovers.
This sweet potato hash is a real winner, it’s perfect for breakfast or brunch. The sweet potatoes pair so well with the ham and savory veggies, and the fried eggs really take this dish of the top! Serve yourself up a plate of hash topped with the egg, then stir the runny egg yolk into the ham mixture – perfection I tell you!
I’m definitely not waiting until next holiday season to make this sweet potato hash, it’s going to be on the menu all year round. For more great ideas on how to use up your leftover ham, be sure to check out the Smithfield website and their Facebook page. What’s your go-to way to eat ham?
Sweet Potato Hash with Ham
- 1 pound of peeled sweet potato chunks that have been boiled steamed or roasted until just tender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced Smithfield Spiral Sliced Smoked Ham with Signature Glaze
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 fried eggs
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the bell pepper and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until just tender
- Add the ham and sweet potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are lightly browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggs on top of the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve immediately.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smithfield.