These pumpkin muffins are light and tender treats filled with plenty of pumpkin puree and spice, then topped with brown sugar streusel and baked to perfection. The ultimate fall breakfast or snack option.
When pumpkin season rolls around, you can always find me in the kitchen making pumpkin bars, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin cheesecake bars or these amazingly delicious pumpkin muffins. The muffins taste like they came straight from a fancy bakery!
If you’re a fan of pumpkin baked goods, you’ll definitely be in love with these pumpkin muffins. These treats have the perfect amount of sweetness and pumpkin spice, and the streusel on top adds so much flavor and texture.
How do you make pumpkin muffins?
Place the eggs, sugar and pumpkin puree in a bowl, then whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients, then stir until a smooth batter forms. Pour the batter into a 12 cup muffin tin, then make the streusel. The streusel is a mix of brown sugar, butter, flour and pumpkin pie spice. Sprinkle the streusel over the batter, then bake until the muffins are set and the streusel has browned. Drizzle with a vanilla glaze, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect muffins
- Watching your calories? You can substitute unsweetened applesauce for half of the oil with good results.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice in the house, you can use cinnamon with a pinch of ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg mixed in.
- You can either use paper muffin liners, or simply spray the muffin tin with cooking spray before pouring in the batter.
- The batter and streusel can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to one day before use. Store the batter and streusel separately until you’re ready to combine everything to bake.
- Pumpkin muffins stay fresh for up to 3 days at room temperature, or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Pumpkin muffin variations
These muffins are absolutely delicious as is, but you can change up the flavors to suit your tastes.
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins: Mix together 8 ounces of softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Place a dollop of the cream cheese mixture into each muffin cup of pumpkin batter and swirl with a toothpick. Proceed with the rest of the recipe as directed.
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins: Add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the batter, proceed with the rest of the recipe as directed.
- Pumpkin Nut Muffins: Add 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter, proceed with the rest of the recipe as directed.
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins: Add 1 mashed banana to the batter, then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Nutella Pumpkin Muffins: Swirl 1 teaspoon of Nutella into each muffin cup of pumpkin batter, then add the streusel and glaze as directed.
Can you freeze muffins?
These muffins can be frozen for up to 2 months. Simply wrap each muffin individually in plastic wrap or place them in sealed bags. Thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator. You may want to heat your muffin in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to get that fresh baked taste.
I make these sweet and delicious muffins all year round, they’re just that good!
More pumpkin recipes you’ll enjoy
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pecan Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Easy Pumpkin Dip
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
Pumpkin Muffins Video
Pumpkin Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel
For the muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
For the streusel
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup butter melted
For the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, or you can use paper liners.
- Place the eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and oil in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and salt to the bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
For the streusel
- Place the flour, brown sugar, butter and pumpkin pie spice in a medium sized bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined and coarse crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the muffins.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the glaze
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, cream and vanilla extract. Drizzle over the cooled muffins.
- Serve, or store the muffins in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Looks so gooood!! cant wait to try but can i use apple sauce instead of oil ?
I believe that should work but the finished product may have a different texture!
I had a can of pumpkin puree so I made these even though it’s not pumpkin season. I added raisins and did not add the powdered sugar icing. I did have to bake them 20 minutes instead of 15. They are delicious and so easy to make. These are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Thanks for the recipe!
I love this muffin recipe and make it year round!
These are so delicious! Perfect for fall brunch
Delicious muffins! I used a half cup of applesauce and a third cup of oil. Will definitely be making these again!
These muffins are so good! I added walnut as we love nuts in everything!
Just made these and they are delicious and easy. Mine took 5 min more to cook.
Truly one of the best muffins I have ever made!
My wife made these and they were so delicious and a bit hit at the house! Can’t wait to have more of these!
I LOVE these muffins because they have both a streusel topping AND a glaze. The yummiest breakfast. SO easy to make and everyone loved them!
You are so right! These are just like those fancy bakery muffins but deceivingly easy to make.
These muffins had me wishing it was fall already! Loved the aroma in my house while cooking. Turned out so moist and delicious!
Perfect for fall! I love these muffins so much!!!
I cannot wait to start making pumpkin food! These will be one of the first!
These muffins are so delicious and were a big hit here at the house! I will definitely be making these again!
This is really ahh-mazing!! It’s great that it’s quick and easy to make!
These pumpkin muffins are would disappear in our house!
Fall is just around the corner and I cannot wait to make these!