Need a make ahead dessert? I’ve got a vanilla almond flan that will impress even the toughest critics. This rich and creamy flan is flavored with vanilla and almonds and is finished off with chopped honey roasted almonds and raspberries.
Flan is a classic dessert, and this dairy free version is so good you’ll never miss the milk!
This post is sponsored by Almond Breeze. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible.
I grew up eating flan pretty regularly – my mom used to make it as a way to use up leftover eggs. This vanilla almond flan is a more modern take on the classic dessert. I’ve made a few changes that I think make it even better than the original!
I wanted to incorporate an almond flavor throughout the flan so I used Almond Breeze Almondmilk Cashewmilk Blend instead of cows milk.
The addition of the cashew makes the almondmilk extra creamy, this flan tastes as good or better than any dairy based custard that I’ve ever had.
How do you make almond flan?
This flan is quite simple to make, the hardest part is making the caramel which requires a pan, some sugar and a watchful eye. The caramel gets poured into a cake pan and a quick custard that’s whipped up in the blender goes on top. The beauty of this dessert is you can make it a day or two in advance and unmold it when you’re ready to eat.
While I love smooth and silky flan, I also love an interplay of flavors and textures, so I topped the flan with some coarsely chopped Blue Diamond Honey Roasted almonds and some fresh fruit. Dessert perfection if you ask me – and no one will believe that it’s dairy free!
More great dessert recipes
Vanilla Almond Flan
- 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar divided use
- 2 cups Almond Breeze Almondmilk Cashewmilk Blend can use regular or unsweetened
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Blue Diamond Honey Roasted almonds coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup raspberries for garnish optional
- mint sprigs for garnish optional
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour 3/4 cup of sugar into a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and carefully move the pan frequently, without stirring, until it takes on a deep amber hue. Pour into the bottom of an 8 inch cake pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside to cool.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, almond milk, egg yolks, eggs, vanilla and salt to a blender and mix on lowest setting until blended.
- Carefully pour the custard into the prepared pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place the prepared mold in a larger rectangular pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan so that it comes halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 60 to 75 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean - flan may still jiggle a little which is fine.
- Allow to cool completely inside the water bath then refrigerate covered at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To unmold the flan, run a thin knife along the side of pan. Gently shake to loosen. Invert a large plate over the flan and quickly invert the mold in one motion. Top with chopped almonds and raspberries. Garnish with mint if desired. Cut into wedges and serve.