This sweet chili chicken is battered chicken pieces that are cooked to crispy brown perfection, then tossed in sweet chili sauce. Serve over rice for a complete meal that’s even better than take out!
I love to make my take out favorites at home, like cream cheese wontons, egg rolls, lemon chicken and Mongolian beef. This sweet chili chicken is a remake of a dish I get at my local Thai restaurant and let me tell you, it’s a good one.
I always have a bottle of sweet chili sauce in my fridge. It goes well with so many different foods, but I have to say, this sweet chili chicken is one of my favorite ways to use chili sauce. This is an easy and flavorful dish that takes like it came from your local Thai restaurant.
How do you make sweet chili chicken?
The first step is to batter your chicken pieces in egg and flour. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you prefer chicken thighs, that would also be a great choice.
The chicken pieces get fried until they’re golden brown and crispy. The secret to easy frying is to use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of your oil. You want your oil to be right around 350 degrees F. If the oil is too hot, the outside of the chicken will burn while the inside is still raw. If the oil is too cold, the coating will absorb a lot more oil and you’ll end up with a heavier dish.
What is sweet chili sauce?
Sweet chili sauce is a prepared Thai sauce that comes in glass bottles. It can be found in most grocery stores in the ethnic foods aisle. If your local grocery store doesn’t carry it, try an Asian supermarket. Despite its name, chili sauce is not overly spicy. I think of it as a Thai version of sweet and sour sauce. Sweet chili sauce pairs particularly well with chicken and shrimp.
The chicken pieces get coated in the sweet chili sauce, then you’re ready to eat! Add a little sliced green onion, then serve your chicken over steamed rice. Not a fan of rice? Try noodles, quinoa or even zucchini noodles instead.
This dish is best served immediately, as the coating on the chicken will start to soften when it hits the sauce. I often offer a green vegetable on the side, such as broccoli, green beans or asparagus.
Sweet chili chicken is a unique and delicious dinner offering that’s sure to become part of your regular meal rotation. No need to call for take out when you can make it at home!
More Asian food favorites
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Thai Cucumber Salad
- Thai Peanut Noodles
Sweet Chili Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- oil for frying
- 3/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Place the eggs in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the flour and cornstarch together and place in a shallow bowl or on a plate
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot to 350 degrees F
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg, then roll into the flour mixture. Repeat with all of the chicken.
- Fry 7-8 pieces of chicken at a time for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat the process with all of the chicken.
- Toss the chicken with the chili sauce. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.