This slow cooker beef stroganoff is tender beef, mushrooms and egg noodles, all tossed in a savory creamy sauce. An easy crock pot dinner that’s pure comfort food!
Beef stroganoff is a classic recipe that never goes out of style, and this crock pot version is as easy as it is delicious! This recipe pairs perfectly with a roasted vegetable on the side, such as parmesan roasted broccoli or honey roasted carrots.
Fall is slowly sneaking up on us and I have been pulling out all my crock pot recipes for the occasion. This slow cooker beef stroganoff was at the top of my list because it’s always a huge hit. An extremely easy dinner recipe that’s hearty and perfect to bring the fall weather in.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SLOW COOKER BEEF STROGANOFF?
The easiest part about the majority of slow cooker recipes is the ability to toss the ingredients in the pot and forget about it. For this recipe, the first step is to brown your meat and vegetables before adding them to the crock pot. This step adds a lot of flavor, but if you’re in a big hurry you can skip the browning process and simply place your beef, mushrooms and onions into the pot.
You can use beef stew meat or a chuck roast cut into 2-inch pieces. This type of well marbled meat will turn out meltingly tender after a long trip through the slow cooker. When the beef and vegetables are done, some sour cream is stirred in to make a sauce and everything is tossed with cooked noodles.
Egg noodles are customary in beef stroganoff but if you don’t have them on hand, other short pasta shapes will work. This crock pot beef stroganoff goes great served with a steamed vegetable or green salad on the side for a complete meal.
CAN SLOW COOKER BEEF STROGANOFF BE MADE ON THE STOVE?
As with pretty much any slow cooker meal, yes, you can make it on the stove. You may need to take other steps such as cooking the meat and noodles separate, however, the ingredients won’t change. Be careful that you don’t dry your meat out if you prefer the stove version.
WHAT DOES THE WORD “STROGANOFF” MEAN?
Stroganoff is a popularly used word in the culinary world, especially where pasta is concerned. However, stroganoff actually refers to the central ingredient (often meat) being cooked in a sauce containing sour cream. Therefore, you can technically have a stroganoff without pasta being involved.
This slow cooker beef stroganoff is a super easy meal that feels great to come home to. Outside of the house smelling delicious, this is one of my favorite comfort foods. It remains a highly requested dish in our house.
MORE BEEF RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Korean Beef Bowls
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Beef Noodle Casserole
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Video
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups beef broth divided use
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 12 ounces egg noodles cooked in salted water according to package directions
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Season the beef with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Add half of the beef to the pan in a single layer. Brown for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add the meat to the slow cooker. Repeat the browning process with the other half of the beef.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups beef broth and Worcestershire sauce into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth with the corn starch. Pour the mixture into the crock pot and stir. Cook covered on HIGH for 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Uncover the crock pot and add the sour cream and cream cheese, stirring until a smooth sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off slow cooker. Pour the cooked egg noodles into the slow cooker and stir until they are fully coated in the sauce.
- Sprinkle parsley over the top, then serve.