This recipe for Pan Seared Chicken Breast with Spinach is a one pot meal of chicken breasts and vegetables in the most delicious lemon, butter and herb sauce.
It’s one pot meal time again! This go around I’m bringing you a lemony pan seared chicken breast with spinach, tomatoes and bell peppers. I’m still working my way through our Meyer lemon stash so I’m putting lemon in all our meals these days. These chicken breasts are lightly coated in seasoned flour then seared in butter for a deliciously browned crust. Throw some veggies in the pan, make a 3 minute lemon honey butter sauce and dinner is ready.
I use thin cut chicken breasts for this recipe; the thinner chicken cooks much quicker and gives you a better crust to chicken ratio. I buy my chicken breasts already cut thin, but you could easily cut thicker breasts lengthwise or pound them thin with a meat mallet. After you’ve made the pan seared chicken breast it’s time to incorporate the veggies. I saute a little bell pepper and spinach in the pan, then add in cherry tomatoes. I don’t cook the tomatoes because I like the texture better when they’re fresh, but you could cook them for a few minutes if you prefer.
The sauce for these pan seared chicken breasts couldn’t be any easier to make – it’s simply browned butter with a little bit of honey, lemon juice and fresh thyme leaves stirred in. Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and dinner is done. I like to serve some bread on the side to round out the meal, or if you don’t mind cleaning one more pan some orzo pasta would be nice. Regardless of how you serve it, this one pot meal is sure to be a hit!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Pan Seared Chicken Breast with Spinach
- 1 1/4 pounds of thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of butter , divided use
- 10 ounces of baby spinach
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup of diced red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Optional garnishes: lemon slices and thyme sprigs
- Mix together the flour, salt and pepper on a large plate.
- Season each chicken breast with salt to taste, then dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a platter and cover with foil. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Place the bell pepper in the pan, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 3 more minutes or until spinach is wilted and bell pepper is cooked through. Add cherry tomatoes and season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Place the vegetables on the serving platter alongside the chicken.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the pan until the butter has started to brown. Whisk in the honey, lemon juice, thyme leaves and salt and pepper to taste. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and serve. Garnish with lemon slices and thyme sprigs if desired.