These peppermint cookies are loaded with white chocolate chunks, candy canes, and Oreo pieces for a unique holiday cookie that everyone will love!
I’ve combined Oreo cookies, candy canes and white chocolate in a soft and tender vanilla cookie for a Christmas treat that’s perfect for cookie exchanges, class parties and gift giving. Looking for more holiday treats? Don’t miss my stained glass cookies!
There’s nothing better than a good Christmas cookie, and these peppermint cookies are just loaded with fun additions. Who can resist candy canes, Oreo cookies and white chocolate all in one place?
How do you make peppermint cookies?
This is a fairly basic cookie dough recipe with one exception. There’s a packet of instant vanilla pudding in the mix which makes these cookies super soft. After you make your dough, it’s filled with chopped Oreo cookies, crushed candy canes and white chocolate.
How do you crush candy canes?
The easiest (and cleanest!) way to crush candy canes is to unwrap them, then place them in a heavy duty resealable plastic bag. Use the flat end of a meat mallet or a rolling pin to lightly crush the candy canes, then open the bag and pour the candy into your mixing bowl.
Tips for making peppermint cookies
- Keep your Oreo cookies in larger pieces – if you chop them too finely your cookies will turn gray.
- I use chopped white chocolate bar versus chips because I like a chunkier cookie. Also, white chocolate baking bars are often made with real cocoa butter and taste better than white chocolate chips, which are often made with palm oil.
- After you’ve rolled your cookie dough into balls, you can press some pieces of Oreo, chocolate and candy cane on top for a nice presentation.
These peppermint cookies can be stored for up to 4 days in a sealed container at room temperature. The cookies are not a great candidate for the freezer because when you thaw them, the peppermint pieces will get sticky.
I used regular chocolate Oreos here, but around the holidays they often make Oreos in fun flavors and colors. Feel free to substitute a different flavor if you prefer.
I love to bring these cookies to holidays because they’re really a unique offering, and I always get so many requests for the recipe! I make them every year and I’m sure you will too once you give this recipe a try.
More Christmas sweets
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 drop pure peppermint extract optional if you like your cookies to have a more pronounced mint flavor
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Oreos chopped
- 1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks cut from a bar of white chocolate
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermints
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Place the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of a mixer. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and peppermint extract (if using). Beat until combined.
- Add the flour, pudding mix and baking soda to the bowl. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in 3/4 of the Oreos, white chocolate and candy canes.
- Take 2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the balls of dough 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. You will need to bake the cookies in batches.
- Press the remaining Oreos, candy canes and white chocolate onto the tops of the balls of dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until light brown at the edges.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Repeat the baking process with the remaining dough.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.