This Jello shots recipe contains fruit flavored gelatin and vodka, which are mixed together, poured into cups, then chilled until firm. A fun and festive addition to any party!
Jello shots have been a classic party offering for decades, and for good reason. They’re colorful, easy to make, and taste great. I like to use a variety of colors as pictured here to make a rainbow of shots that no one can resist.
How do you make jello shots?
Jello shots are just Jello made with a kick. To make the shots, first boil water and pour it in a bowl with your favorite flavor of Jello powder. Whisk the Jello powder to make sure it dissolves in the water. Whisk in cold water and vodka and the mixture is ready to pour into shot glasses or containers. The shots chill in the refrigerator until they are firm and ready to serve.
Tips for the perfect shots
- Place your shot glasses or containers on a sheet pan before placing the Jello mixture in the glasses or containers. This makes it east to place the sheet pan with all the Jello shots in the refrigerator.
- To pour the Jello evenly into the cups, try using a turkey baster to suction the liquid and place it in the containers. You can also use a measuring spoon.
- Try making several flavors of Jello shots for a variety that will please all of your guests.
- While standard vodka is a classic ingredient, you can use other liquors such as flavored vodka or white rum.
- Try making layered shots by pouring a darker colored Jello in a shot glass or container, letting it chill and then pouring a lighter colored Jello on top.
- You can pour the Jello in a baking pan to cool and then cut out small squares instead of using individual cups.
How do you take a jello shot?
If you have a plastic container, run a dull knife or your finger around the inside edge of the container to remove the Jello. If you use shot glasses made of glass, make sure you have little spoons to remove the Jello from the glass. Break the shots up and don’t try to swallow them all at once; you don’t want to choke on them. As with all alcohol, consume the shots responsibly.
How long does it take for gelatin shots to set?
These shots take about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to firm up, depending on the size of the shots. If you take the shots out of your refrigerator and they are still liquid, place them back in the refrigerator. They will set faster in the freezer, just watch out so that you do not get harder “frozen” shots, unless you’re looking to actually make frozen shots.
Can you freeze Jello shots?
You can freeze the shots. They get colder and more firm than shots in a refrigerator but they do not freeze solid. The texture can get a little grainy or icy. You can eat them straight out of the freezer if you don’t mind the cold. Make sure to store them in an airtight container.
How long do jello shots last out of the fridge?
Jello shots don’t last long outside of the refrigerator. They melt faster in warmer temperatures. You should plan to consume or refrigerate the shots within 30 – 45 minutes.
These Jello shots are an easy and fun addition to any party or get-together. I love making shots with different colors and flavors for all tastes. Give them a try at your next event.
Party snacks to pair with your jello shots
- 3 ounce box Jello pick your favorite flavor
- 1 1/2 cups water divided use
- 1/2 cup vodka
- Heat one cup of water until it's boiling.
- Pour the boiling water into a bowl containing your Jello powder and whisk the mixture until the powder is completely dissolved.
- Pour in 1/2 cup cold water and whisk until combined.
- Pour in the vodka and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Pour the Jello mixture into plastic shot cups, glasses or a small baking dish.
- Refrigerate the Jello shots for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours until they are firm, then serve. Store any leftover shots in the refrigerator.