This Rotel dip is a blend of cheese, zesty tomatoes, chiles and ground beef, all melted to gooey perfection. This easy dip has just a handful of ingredients and can be made on the stove top or in the slow cooker.
You can never go wrong with a hot cheese dip for a party, I always find myself making white queso dip, pepperoni pizza dip and this fabulous Rotel dip. It’s loaded with plenty of meat and cheese and pairs perfectly with tortilla chips.
Rotel dip is a classic recipe that never goes out of style. I’ve taken the traditional recipe and given it a meaty twist for an end result that’s even better!
How do you make Rotel dip?
This recipe starts with ground beef, which is cooked in a skillet with taco seasoning. Velveeta cheese and a can of Rotel tomatoes also go into the skillet. Cook everything together until the cheese is melted. Add a garnish of fresh diced tomatoes and cilantro and you’ll be ready to eat!
What is in a can of Rotel?
Rotel tomatoes are canned diced tomatoes combined with green chiles. You can purchase Rotel varieties that are hot or mild on the spice scale. I typically use mild Rotel because my kids prefer it, but if you like heat, go for the hot Rotel tomatoes.
Tips for Rotel dip
- Do not drain your Rotel tomatoes – the liquid from the can helps to keep the dip at the perfect consistency!
- This dip is best served immediately after it’s made so that the cheese doesn’t harden. If you find the cheese starting to harden, you can place your skillet of dip over medium heat on the stove to melt everything back together.
- This dip is great when served with tortilla chips. Other dipper options include vegetables, corn or flour tortillas, pretzels or breadsticks.
Rotel dip variations
While I love this recipe as written, sometimes I add extra ingredients to change things up a bit.
- Meat: Swap out the ground beef for diced cooked chicken or cooked chorizo.
- Cheese: Add some shredded cheese to the mix such as cheddar or pepper jack.
- Toppings: Top your dip with sour cream, olives, avocado or pickled jalapeno slices.
- Spicy: Add diced pickled jalapenos or minced canned chipotle peppers to the dip.
Slow cooker Rotel dip
Rotel dip can easily be made in the slow cooker. Simply brown your beef with the taco seasoning, then add it to a slow cooker along with the Velveeta cheese and Rotel tomatoes. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, then stir until smooth. Turn the crock pot to the warm setting and serve.
Can you make Rotel dip in advance?
You can make this dip in advance, then reheat it on the stove top when you’re ready to serve it. I recommend making this dip no more than 24 hours before you plan to serve it. Add the fresh tomatoes and cilantro right before serving.
This dip is the perfect game day snack, an awesome addition to taco night or a great snack for a party. It’s simple, yet totally satisfying and is always completely eaten by the end of the night!
More great dip recipes
Rotel Dip with Beef
- 3/4 pound ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes do not drain
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- Place a large pan over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking up with a spatula.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
- Add the Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta to the pan. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Top the dip with tomatoes and cilantro, then serve with tortilla chips.