This Instant Pot teriyaki chicken is chicken thighs pressured cooked in a homemade sweet and savory teriyaki sauce. Serve over rice for a quick and easy meal that’s sure to please both kids and adults.
I turn to my Instant Pot when I need dinner on the table as fast as possible. Some of our favorite pressure cooker recipes include Instant Pot carnitas, Instant Pot chili and this amazing teriyaki chicken.
In my opinion, you can never go wrong with teriyaki chicken. It’s a classic dish for good reason, it’s super delicious and has the perfect balance for flavors. This Instant Pot teriyaki chicken is ready in just minutes, and has that same great restaurant flavor with a fraction of the work.
How do you make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken?
Start by cutting boneless, skinless chicken thighs into bite sized pieces. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in the Instant Pot which include soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Add the chicken pieces to the pot and toss to coat with the sauce. Cook the chicken on high pressure until tender. Remove the chicken from the pot, then turn the pressure cooker to saute mode. Bring the sauce to a simmer and add corn starch to thicken it up. Return the chicken the pot and spoon the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, then serve and enjoy.
Can you put frozen chicken in the Instant Pot?
You can make this dish with frozen chicken if that’s what you have on hand. Simply double the cooking time.
Tips for the perfect dish
- I like to make this dish with cut up chicken, but you can also use whole chicken thighs and simply shred them with two forks before you add the meat back to the sauce.
- Chicken teriyaki will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, and can be frozen for 2 months.
- Serve your chicken over steamed rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice for a complete meal.
- This recipe will also work well in a slow cooker. Use whole chicken thighs, coat them in the sauce, then cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred the meat, then serve. If you prefer a thicker sauce with this method, remove the chicken from the slow cooker then pour the sauce into a pot on the stove top and simmer with corn starch.
Instant Pot teriyaki chicken flavor variations
This dish is great as-is, but you can easily customize the flavors to your family’s tastes.
- Protein: You can use steak, chicken breast or salmon instead of the chicken thighs.
- Vegetables: Feel free to add some veggies to the mix! I recommend using the saute mode to cook your vegetables in the sauce before you add the chicken back to the pot. Some great options include mushrooms, zucchini, small broccoli florets or thinly sliced carrots.
- Flavorings: Kick up the flavor by adding sriracha, crushed red pepper flakes, mirin, or a little bit of rice vinegar.
Once you see how easy it is to prepare teriyaki chicken in the Instant Pot, you’ll never make it any other way again!
More Asian style recipes you’ll enjoy
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, honey and sesame oil in an Instant Pot. Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot and stir to coat it with the sauce.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set it for high manual pressure for 8 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release the rest of the pressure.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the pot. Place on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Turn the pot to saute mode. Whisk together 2 tablespoon of cold water with the corn starch.
- Once the sauce comes to a simmer, whisk in the corn starch. Cook for 1 minute or until sauce has started to thicken.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Return the chicken to the pot. Spoon the sauce over the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions, then serve.