This fried zucchini is zucchini sticks coated in seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, then deep fried to golden brown perfection. Zucchini fries are the perfect side dish or party snack to feed a crowd!
I’ve been ordering fried zucchini in restaurants for as long as I can remember. That crispy coated squash is just addictive, especially when served with a side of marinara sauce! This homemade version of the restaurant classic is surprisingly easy to make at home, and it’s always a hit.
How do you make fried zucchini?
The first step is to cut some zucchini squash into sticks. The zucchini sticks are coated in egg, then rolled in a mixture of seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. The final step is to cook your zucchini in hot oil until crispy and golden brown. Serve your zucchini fries with a sprinkling of parsley and some sauce for dipping!
Tips for fried zucchini
- I liked to cut my zucchini in sticks because I find it easier to eat that way, but you can cut your zucchini into round coins if you prefer.
- I use a mixture of Italian breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs for the best coating. If you don’t have Italian style breadcrumbs on hand, you can use regular breadcrumbs and add 1 teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning.
- These zucchini sticks cook quickly, so watch them carefully in the oil!
- Fried zucchini is best served fresh from the fryer. I wouldn’t recommend trying to make this dish in advance.
- Use a deep frying thermometer to make sure your oil is at the proper temperature. Your oil should be between 350-375 degrees F.
Do you peel zucchini to fry it?
I personally don’t peel my zucchini before I fry it. The peel helps to hold the zucchini together so that it’s not overly mushy inside the coating. In addition, many of the nutrients are in the peel, so keep it on!
Is zucchini healthy?
Zucchini is packed with nutrients such as folate, Vitamin B6, potassium, manganese, Vitamin C and and Vitamin K. Zucchini is low calorie, low in carbohydrates and high in fiber. Zucchini also protects against inflammation, aids in digestion, improves thyroid function and is beneficial for your eyes.
Can you bake fried zucchini?
If you prefer to avoid deep frying, you can bake your zucchini in the oven. Bread your zucchini sticks according to the directions, then coat the zucchini with cooking spray and place them on a greased sheet pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Once you try this fried zucchini, you’ll find yourself making it all the time! It’s the perfect game day snack, great for parties or just for a night at home when you’re in the mood for some Italian food.
More appetizers you’ll love
- 4 zucchini quartered and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs beaten
- oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Place the Italian breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the eggs in a second bowl.
- Dip the zucchini sticks in the egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mixture until completely coated.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep pan to 350 degrees F.
- Fry 6-8 pieces of zucchini at a time for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Place the cooked zucchini on paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve immediately with marinara sauce on the side.