This easy Asian noodle salad recipe is ramen noodles and colorful veggies all tossed in a sesame hoisin dressing. The perfect side dish for any summer celebration!
I am all about the salads this summer, and the more colorful, the better! This Asian noodle salad is chock full of a variety of rainbow vegetables which are combined with ramen noodles and coated in the most amazing hoisin dressing for the ultimate salad. Serve your salad with other warm weather favorites such as huli huli chicken, grilled beef bulgogi or classic succotash.
Table of Contents
Asian Noodle Salad Ingredients
To make this recipe, you will need ramen noodles, purple cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, edamame, sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro and peanuts. The dressing consists of hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, salt and black pepper.
How Do You Make Asian Noodle Salad?
Start by cooking the ramen noodles in a large pot. While the noodles are cooking, whisk together all the salad dressing ingredients. Drain the noodles. Run cold water over the noodles, then place them in a large bowl along with the vegetables and herbs. Pour the dressing over the noodle mixture, then toss gently to coat. Add a topping of sesame seeds and peanuts, then serve and enjoy.
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- No ramen noodles on hand? Try a different kind of Asian style noodle such as yakitori or lo mein noodles. Rice noodles or soba noodles will also work. Be sure to check your local Asian market for a wide variety of both fresh and dried noodles. Spaghetti can also be used in a pinch.
- Edamame can be found in the freezer section of most grocery stores. Thaw them in the refrigerator overnight, or dunk them in boiling water.
- I use a mandoline to shave my carrots and cabbage into thin pieces.
- This salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Be aware that the noodles will continue to absorb the dressing as the salad sits in the fridge.
The peanuts add great texture and flavor to the salad. If you have a peanut allergy, you can use cashews or almonds, or simply omit the nuts altogether.
Noodle salad consists of cooked noodles and vegetables that are typically tossed in an oil based dressing. This type of salad can also contain other ingredients such as fresh herbs and chicken.
Ramen noodles are typically not a great choice for a healthy diet as they do contain fat, and are often prepared with seasoning packets that are full of sodium. Pairing ramen noodles with vegetables and a lighter dressing in salad form helps to make them a better choice.
While this dish is fabulous as-is, you can easily add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Protein: Make your side dish into a main course by adding shredded chicken, cooked shrimp, or diced tofu.
- Grains: This salad can also be made with rice instead of noodles.
- Vegetables: You can use other veggies such as baby spinach, bean sprouts, avocado, cucumber or corn. I also sometimes add some canned mandarin oranges.
- Toppings: Feel free to finish your salad with other garnishes such as a drizzle of sriracha, crispy wonton strips or furikake seasoning.
- Dressing: You can add more zest to the dressing with fresh garlic, lime juice or even creamy peanut butter.
I love that this Asian noodle salad is packed full of flavor, yet can be put together in no time and is always the hit of any party. You can’t go wrong with this salad and your guests will most definitely be asking for the recipe!
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page
Asian Noodle Salad
- 4 3-ounce packages dried ramen noodles (seasoning packs discarded)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the ramen noodles according to package instructions.
- While ramen noodles are cooking, in a small bowl whisk together the hoisin sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, honey, soy sauce, ginger and salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
- Run cold water over the noodles to cool them to room temperature, and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the cabbage, carrot, bell peppers, edamame, green onions and cilantro to the bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the noodle mixture and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and peanuts and serve.
- Leftovers will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- No ramen noodles on hand? You can use a different type of Asian noodle such as lo mein noodles, yakisoba or even spaghetti in a pinch.