This recipe for cilantro lime shrimp with mango avocado salsa is a quick yet impressive dinner or appetizer that’s full of flavor and color. Best of all, it’s ready in just 20 minutes!
You can never go wrong with shrimp, especially when it’s topped with a vibrant fruit salsa!
Two out of my three kids are now eating shrimp, which means it’s on the dinner table much more often than before. Usually I go for the mid-priced medium shrimp, but for these cilantro lime shrimp I splurged and bought the giant ones. This is a super easy recipe that works as a main course or an appetizer. The shrimp are simply seasoned with garlic, lime juice and cilantro and served with a bright and colorful salsa.
How do you make cilantro lime shrimp?
This recipe starts with peeled shrimp. You can either leave the tails on for a little fancier presentation, or remove them. It’s totally up to you! The shrimp are seared in olive oil and flavored with garlic, fresh cilantro and lime juice.
I’ll be the first to admit that I have a weakness for fruit based salsas – the sweetness goes so well with many types of protein, including these succulent shrimp. I went with a mango-bell pepper-avocado combination here that’s as colorful as it is delicious.
HOW DO YOU KNOW SHRIMP IS COOKED?
Despite the type of shrimp you buy, you’ll want to make sure your shrimp is cooked properly for safety’s sake. All shrimp should appear pink with red tails. They should appear slightly white as well but too much white means you’ve overcooked your shrimp.
Tips for Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- You can serve the salsa on the side as a dip, or spooned over the top of your cilantro lime shrimp. Sometimes when I’m serving this dish as an appetizer I include a basket of chips to use for scooping up any leftover salsa.
- If you’re serving these cilantro lime shrimp as a main course, I recommend a side of coconut rice.
- This dish is best served immediately.
- You can make the mango salsa in advance, just omit the avocado and add it in right before you serve your meal.
Whether you’re looking for a summery party appetizer or a quick dinner, these cilantro lime shrimp fit the bill. You could even serve them with tortillas to make tacos, the possibilities are endless!
More great shrimp recipes
Cilantro Lime Shrimp with Mango Avocado Salsa
- For the shrimp:
- 1 pound of extra large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- the juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the mango avocado salsa:
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 cup diced avocado
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- salt to taste
- For the shrimp: Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Season the shrimp generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the lime juice and cilantro and serve with mango avocado salsa.
- For the salsa: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and serve with the shrimp.