This chocolate zucchini bread is a tender loaf filled with grated zucchini, cocoa powder, and plenty of chocolate chips. It’s the perfect way to use up any extra zucchini from the garden!
When I find myself with an excessive amount of zucchini on hand, I make grilled zucchini, a zucchini noodle recipe, or bake up a loaf of zucchini bread. My kids request this recipe constantly, it’s just that good.
Whenever my garden starts producing an abundance of zucchini, I find myself whipping up a loaf of this decadent chocolate zucchini bread. It uses up a lot of squash, and the rich, chocolate flavor just can’t be beat! This bread makes for a great snack or dessert option.
How do you make chocolate zucchini bread?
To make chocolate zucchini bread, prepare a batter by mixing together the dry ingredients. For the wet batter ingredients, mix an egg with sugar and add butter, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and grated zucchini. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until they are just combined. Add chocolate chips to the batter to get those fantastic melted morsels in the bread. Add a sprinkle of chocolate chips on top of the bread, then bake it until it’s browned. Once the bread is out of the oven, let it cool, then slice and serve.
Tips for chocolate zucchini bread
- Toss your chocolate chips in a teaspoon of flour so they don’t sink to the bottom of the bread.
- If your cocoa powder is lumpy, sift it before using it.
- To get that finely grated zucchini that makes the bread so moist and delicate, use the side of your grater with smaller holes.
- Make sure to set the grated zucchini in a strainer for about 5 minutes to remove any excess water before adding it to the batter.
Zucchini bread variations
There are some tasty ways that you can change up this recipe to customize it to your tastes.
- Zucchini: You can use yellow squash instead of zucchini or a combination of the two.
- Chips: Feel free to use different types of chips such as milk chocolate, white chocolate or peanut butter chips.
- Crunch: Add some crunch and texture to the bread by mixing in up to 1/3 cup of chopped nuts or toasted coconut.
- Ganache: Make a delicious chocolate coating by preparing a ganache to drizzle over the top of the bread. To make ganache, heat 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of heavy cream on the stove or in the microwave until it’s scalding hot. Pour the heavy cream over 1 1/2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips and stir the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted. Let the ganache cool for 5 minutes, then pour it over the baked zucchini bread.
How long is zucchini bread good for?
Zucchini bread generally stays fresh on the counter for 2 days. The bread will stay fresh in a refrigerator for a week. Be sure to store your bread in an airtight container for best results.
Can you freeze zucchini bread?
You can freeze zucchini bread to eat later. Zucchini bread can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you want to freeze zucchini bread, I recommend slicing the bread, then wrapping the slices with plastic wrap. Place the slices into a freezer safe bag, then chill the bread. Freezing individual slices allows you to thaw each slice when you want it instead of having to thaw the entire loaf or cut through a frozen loaf to get a slice. A slice of frozen zucchini bread can be warmed in in the microwave in about 20-25 seconds. You can also warm the bread in the toaster for a crispier result.
This chocolate zucchini bread recipe makes a delicious, moist loaf with intense chocolate flavor. This bread is perfect for breakfast, brunch or an afternoon snack.
More great ways to use zucchini
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour + 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini drained to remove excess water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips divided use
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8.5 inch or 9 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 1 1/4 cups flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Place the sugar and egg in a medium bowl. Mix until smooth. Add the butter, vegetable oil and vanilla extract; whisk to combine.
- Add the zucchini to the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined.
- Toss 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips with the teaspoon of flour.
- Add the flour coated chocolate chips to the batter and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, or with just a few crumbs attached.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Cool for 15 minutes, then run a thin spatula or knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the bread.
- Cool for another 15 minutes, then invert the pan onto a serving plate. Slice and serve.
OMG! This was so wonderful and moist!
Only one thing to say is that this bread is very very Rich WOW !!!… But Wonderful !!!!!
Do I need to adjust the recipe if I want to make muffins?
Just reduce the baking time!
So fun that no one in my house knew that there was zucchini in the bread! It came out so moist and delicious!
Is there a way to reduce sugar by way of Splenda ?
That should work fine!
No one even knew there was zucchini in here! Delicious
Can this recipe be baked in a bundt pan?
You’d need to double the recipe for it to be enough batter for a bundt pan.
Does baking powder go in this recipe cause I dont see it wrote there or is it just baking soda.
It’s just baking soda!
Delicious…going to make and give our at Christmas…
Oh My Goodness! I just made this and this is chocolate fix heaven. This is very rich so I can only do one slice today, but this will be terrific with coffee in the morning. I’m sharing your recipe link on my facebook page to let everyone know that this is a keeper. Thank you so much for sharing this.
This looks so moist and delicious! Looking forward to making this over the weekend; the PERFECT cure to my sweet tooth!
So much chocolatey goodness! I love this recipe and will be making it again and again!
lOOKS SO SOFT AND MOIST! lOVE ZUCCHINI BREAD!
Silly question, but how do you drain a zucchini?
The zucchini will release a lot of liquid when you shred it, so just put it in a colander or drain on paper towels.
Well, this just looks absolutely divine! This is definitely going to be my favourite way to use up zucchini from now on. Can’t wait to make this!
Those ooey-gooey chocolate chips look amazing! Must-try recipe!
I have a couple of zucchini in my refrigerator right now. I’m going to give this recipe a try. Zucchini bread is good, but chocolate is even better!
My family goes nuts for zucchini bread, but this chocolate version is over-the-top! I wonder if I could also add some toasted nuts to it? What do you think?
Made it last night! I could not get enough, enjoying one slice after another. I especially liked the even distribution of chocolate chips into the bread.
This looks so yummy! I can’t wait to try it out! *drooling* 🙂
This is GENIUS!! So chocolatey and delicious!! The first one was gone in a flash so I need to make another one FAST!