These baked sesame chicken fingers are tossed in a sweet and tangy Asian-style honey, soy and sesame sauce and are served with fries and a creamy sesame dip. A complete meal in 30 minutes with less guilt!
Baked chicken is given an Asian makeover that kids and adults alike will love. They also happen to be super easy to make! When I want easy to eat chicken, I make cornflake chicken, air fryer chicken tenders or these baked sesame chicken fingers.
Now that the holidays are behind us it’s time to get back into old routines. For me, that means more diligence with meal planning and making better food choices. I find that if I have our dinners all planned out for the week it’s less stressful. It also gives me a chance to make sure we’re eating well balanced meals.
With this chicken I like to serve slightly heathier fries like my baked french fries or air fryer french fries. However, if I’m busy I can just heat up some frozen french fries.
How do you make baked sesame chicken?
My kids love chicken fingers but I don’t love that they’re deep-fried. I’ve created these baked sesame chicken fingers as a lighter alternative. They pair perfectly with baked or air fryer french fries.
Part of meal planning is coming up with ways to save time. I know in my house we’re all tired by the end of the day and the last thing I want to do is spend hours cooking! This recipe can be prepared in about 30 minutes. The chicken fingers can bake on the same pan as baked french fries. While everything’s in the oven I take a few minutes to make an Asian-style sauce to coat the chicken fingers and a creamy sesame sauce to dip the fries and chicken into.
This meal was a win for my family. The kids loved that they could still have their chicken fingers and fries and I loved sticking to my New Year’s resolution to make good food choices that allow for fast and easy meal prep.
More easy chicken recipes
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Mango Chicken
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
Baked Sesame Chicken Fingers with Fries
- For the chicken:
- 1 pound raw chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 bag frozen french fries
- For the sesame dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in a resealable bag with the buttermilk; toss to coat. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating combine the soy sauce, ketchup, honey and sesame oil in a saucepan.
- In another resealable bag combine the flour, panko, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and add pepper to taste.
- Remove half of the chicken from the buttermilk and place into the bag with the panko mixture. Shake to coat the chicken; remove the chicken and place in a single layer on the sheet pan. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Coat the tops of the chicken with cooking spray.
- Place the fries in a single layer on the sheet pan with the chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned and fries are golden brown and crispy.
- While the chicken and fries are baking, make the sauces. Bring the soy sauce mixture to a boil. Combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water and add to the sauce. Boil for 1-2 minutes more or until sauce has slightly thickened. Set aside.
- For the dipping sauce mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven, drizzle the soy honey sauce over the top and toss to coat. Sprinkle the chicken with the tablespoon of sesame seeds. Serve the chicken and french fries with the sesame dip. Garnish with parsley or cilantro if desired.
Made the recipe, added seasoning to buttermilk and panko breading mixture. Would include garlic to sauce, the fried version of this recipe sauce has garlic. The sauce is delicious. Didn’t make the mayo dip. Fries next time. Cooked the chicken tenders on my toaster oven/ air fryer. Make sure you spray the tender so that it crisps up!!!!
Would make again. Simple pretty quick. Delicious.
Oh do these look so good!
Mmm! I love Alexia French Fries (they’re sweet potato fries and onion rings are amazing too!) And I just know I’d love these sesame chicken fingers too! Can I come to your house for the superbowl?
Come over any time! 🙂
I will try to making the chicken soon! Will let you know how my family and friends like it! Thanks for sharing !
What a great chicken recipe. I bet the flavors are amazing.
I am telling you that I need this dinner in my life! Oh my gosh this looks so wonderful!
I love that these are baked chicken fingers and that they are sesame. My favorite flavor! My kids would go crazy for this!
This looks crazy amazing insane delicious! I loooove sesame chicken and those fries look perfect. *sigh* (eats kale)
Love the creamy sauce with the fries!
Excellent recipe! Loving everything about it! It’s wonderful that this beautiful dish can come together in 30 minutes!
These look so good!!! Think I will be making them this weekend, I need some new ideas in the rotation!!! Have everything except the chicken & LOVE Alexa fries!!!!
Sara, these look AMAZING! I also LOVE Alexa products. When I make frozen french fries at home it is the only ones I use because I love knowing all the gross chemicals aren’t in them! PS, your photography always leaves me in awe, I sort of aspire to your photos 🙂 Now I am convincing myself not to make this for breakfast at 9am.
Looks tasty and flavorful. I’m pretty sure this dinner will impress a bunch of guests.
these chicken fingers look AMAZING and i know my kids would love them too! I love that the flavours are a just a little different (rather then breaded with plum sauce) BUT that it’s still a kid classic! Great recipe!
These look amazing. The sauce looks so sticky and delicious and I always keep Alexia fries in the freezer. I love knowing I have a good quality product.
Oh wow, these look fantastic! I absolutely love sesame chicken!