This recipe for baked salmon is fresh fish fillets topped with garlic, butter and herbs, then roasted to tender perfection. A super easy dinner option that’s quick to make and perfect for busy weeknights!
You can never go wrong with salmon for dinner. I often find myself making grilled salmon, salmon with avocado salsa, or this speedy and flavorful baked salmon.
There are so many night when I just need an easy dinner on the table as soon as possible. This baked salmon fits the bill! It takes less than 20 minutes to make, yet is packed with tons of flavor. You can use this recipe for individual salmon fillets, or pour the sauce over a whole side of salmon to feed a crowd.
This salmon is amazing with side dishes like carrot souffle, fig salad with spinach or zucchini fritters.
How do you make baked salmon?
This recipe starts with a mix of butter, garlic, herbs, soy sauce and brown sugar, which gets mixed together and then poured over the salmon. The fish fillets go into the oven to bake for 10 minutes, then the final step is to broil the salmon until it’s starting to caramelize. Add a little more fresh parsley for garnish, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for baked salmon
- This sauce will work well on other types of fish such as swordfish, halibut, cod and trout.
- I recommend using fresh wild salmon whenever possible. Farmed fresh salmon will also work well, but wild tends to have more nutrients which is why it’s the better choice if it’s available.
- You can use any fresh herbs you happen to have on hand – other great choices include dill, basil and chives.
- I like to broil the fish at the end of the baking time so that the salmon gets slightly crispy and browned. That being said, keep a close eye on your salmon during the broiling process to make sure that it doesn’t burn.
- Baked salmon is great served with garlic bread, mashed potatoes, rice, or small pasta such as orzo. I also serve a green vegetable on the side such as steamed broccoli, green beans or asparagus. Looking to save on carbs? Try serving your salmon over cauliflower rice.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN SALMON IS DONE?
Salmon is cooked through when the flesh is opaque and flakes easily from the fillet. If you’re not sure that the salmon is done, you can use a digital thermometer to measure the internal temperature. If the temperature of the salmon is at least 145 degrees F, then the salmon is ready to eat. You want to be sure not to overcook your salmon as it can get tough and dry.
IS SALMON HEALTHY?
Salmon is a great choice for a healthy diet. It’s high in protein and low in carbohydrates. Salmon is full of vitamins and minerals including Vitamin B12, potassium and selenium. Salmon is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which have numerous health benefits. I try to make sure my family eats salmon around once a week.
This baked salmon is one of my go-to dinner recipes, even the kids will happily eat it! You can never have too many quick meal options, and this is one of the best out there.
MORE GREAT SALMON RECIPES
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon cut into 4 fillets
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange the salmon fillets on the sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon zest, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Spoon the butter sauce over the salmon fillets. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until fish is opaque and just cooked through.
- Turn on the broiler. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until edges of salmon are browned.
- Sprinkle with additional parsley, then serve.
Alls I can say is “you had me at hello”.
I absolutely love this dish…..
Thank you for this delicious recipe! You have to try this! The best salmon I’ve ever had!!
Superb! Added about 1/2 t of Dijon to the butter mixture. Best salmon ever. My new favorite! Alaskan salmon!
The family loved it! Couldn’t wait for dinner time! happened to have a box of bagel seeds so I added a Tb to the butter sauce.
Wh a are bagel seeds?
Im sorry I wasn’t more specific but I used Everything Bagel Seasoning. I found it in Trader Jo.
The flavors made this salmon so light tasting and delicious! We loved it!
Yep. I’m totally going to have to make this for my salmon-loving husband. Yum!
This salmon was amazing! I loved the flavor!
This salmon looks so juicy & good! I will definitely give this a try. I love salmon!
Yum! This salmon is so good!
This was just the sort of dish I have been looking for to help me on my diet journey! These filets were perfectly seasoned, light, but filling! Made a great summer dinner!
SO much delicious flavor! One of my favorite salmon recipes!
I love everything about this!! It’s looks incredibly delicious!
I love this! looks so good! I’m going to have to try this.
This looks absolutely amazing! Definitely making these for dinner soon
What an easy way to get dinner on the table! Love that you added garlic and butter.