Salmon with avocado salsa is a fresh, easy and nutritious dinner that’s quick enough for a busy weeknight, yet elegant enough for company. It’s the perfect way to incorporate more salmon into your diet!
Crispy browned salmon fillets are topped with a creamy and flavorful avocado salsa for a meal you can feel good about feeding your family.
I happen to love salmon in all shapes and forms. Whether it’s a side of salmon big enough for a crowd, or smoked salmon for brunch, you can almost always find salmon in my house! One of my absolute favorite ways to eat salmon is this salmon with avocado salsa. It’s fresh, easy and absolutely delicious.
How to make salmon with avocado salsa
This recipe starts with some salmon fillets. February is American Heart Month, and salmon is the perfect choice to keep your heart healthy! Salmon is one of the best natural sources for Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for a healthy heart. The Omega-3s DHA and EPA that are found in salmon help increase the good HDL cholesterol levels in our bodies, and they help clean up and prevent build up of arterial wall deposits and plaque, which results in better blood flow circulation to the heart.
The DHA and EPA Omega-3 fatty acids also help reduce inflammation, regulate blood pressure, and reduce blood clots which reduces the risk of stroke. These salmon fillets are seared to golden brown perfection in a little bit of olive oil, which is also a heart healthy choice!
The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends a shift from a diet high in saturated fats (like those found in beef and pork) to a diet rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fats (like those found in salmon).
While the salmon is cooking, I prepare a simple avocado salsa to go on top. The salsa contains finely diced avocado, red bell peppers and red onion, and is tossed with lime juice and cilantro for a fresh topping that pairs perfectly with the salmon.
I like to serve my salmon with avocado salsa over steamed brown or white rice, or even some quinoa. A green veggie like steamed broccoli rounds out the meal and creates a filling and satisfying dish that your family is sure to love – my kids request this recipe all the time!
If you’re looking to eat healthier, salmon is the perfect choice. It’s readily found at all grocery stores, affordable, easy to prepare and totally delicious! Be sure to check out the Hooked on Salmon Pinterest and Facebook pages for tons of easy and delicious recipe options.
More salmon recipes you’re sure to love
Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 4-ounce salmon fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium avocado peeled, pitted and finely diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- the juice of 1 lime
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the salmon fillets generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon, skin side up, in the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, prepare the avocado salsa.
- In a small bowl, mix together the avocado, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir gently until combined.
- Spoon the avocado salsa over the salmon fillets and serve immediately.
- I prefer to use fresh salmon fillets in this recipe, but frozen, thawed fillets will also work.
- Diced tomatoes can be substituted for the red bell pepper.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of National Salmon Council and Hooked on Salmon. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!