This baked cod is marinated with olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs, then roasted to tender and flaky perfection. A lighter dinner option that takes just minutes to put together and is packed with flavor.
If you’re a seafood lover, you’ll enjoy this easy baked cod dish. The fish is soaked in the most delicious marinade, and is perfect when served over rice or pasta. This one is sure to get rave reviews!
For a complete meal, this cod is perfect with side dishes like zucchini casserole, avocado corn salad or cream cheese mashed potatoes. If you want more options, take a look at my side dishes and make your own amazing dinner!
What does cod fish taste like?
Cod is a leaner fish with a very mild flavor. It’s a great variety to try with people who think they don’t like fish, since it doesn’t have an overly strong flavor. Cod is sometimes referred to as the chicken of the sea because of its neutral taste.
How do you make baked cod?
Start by preparing a simple marinade of olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and herbs. Let the cod sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. Place the fillets in a dish, then bake until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. You can broil the top of the fish for another minute or two if you prefer a browned topping, then garnish with lemon and herbs and serve.
Tips for the perfect dish
- This recipe works well with both fresh and frozen fish. Be sure to thaw any frozen fish before placing it in the marinade.
- Be sure to use fillets that are similar in size and shape so that they cook at the same rate.
- The marinade can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- You can also grill your marinated fish for a smoky flavor.
- Serve baked cod with a side of rice pilaf, short pasta or mashed potatoes, and a green vegetable like broccoli or asparagus.
Baked cod flavor variations
While this dish is delicious as-is, you can add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Marinade: Feel free to add more ingredients to the marinade such as minced fresh ginger, chopped dill or chives, orange zest or Dijon mustard. You can also swap out the honey for brown sugar.
- Fish: While this marinade is designed to be paired with cod, it also works beautifully with salmon, swordfish, trout and snapper.
- Veggies: You can add some quick-cooking vegetables to your pan of fish such as sliced zucchini, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes or artichoke hearts.
- Toppings: Sprinkle some toppings onto your fish such as panko breadcrumbs or parmesan cheese. You can also add a handful of toasted pine nuts to the finished dish.
This dish takes ordinary cod and turns it into something spectacular. The flavors are mild enough for kids to enjoy, yet pleasing to adult palates as well.
More seafood recipes to try
Baked Cod Video
- 1 1/4 pounds cod cut into 4 fillets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- cooking spray
- lemon wedges and fresh herbs for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, soy sauce, lemon zest, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the fish to the bowl and spoon the marinade over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the cod fillets into the prepared dish. Spoon the marinade over the fish. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until fish is opaque and just cooked through.
- Turn on the broiler. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until edges of fish are browned.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs and lemon wedges.