This baked cod is marinated with olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs, then roasted to tender and flaky perfection. A lighter dinner option that takes just minutes to put together and is packed with flavor.
I try to eat seafood at least once a week, some of my favorite recipes include honey glazed salmon, bacon wrapped shrimp and this amazingly delicious baked cod.
If you’re a seafood lover, you’ll enjoy this easy baked cod dish. The fish is soaked in the most delicious marinade, and is perfect when served over rice or pasta. This one is sure to get rave reviews!
What does cod fish taste like?
Cod is a leaner fish with a very mild flavor. It’s a great variety to try with people who think they don’t like fish, since it doesn’t have an overly strong flavor. Cod is sometimes referred to as the chicken of the sea because of its neutral taste.
How do you make baked cod?
Start by preparing a simple marinade of olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and herbs. Let the cod sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours. Place the fillets in a dish, then bake until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. You can broil the top of the fish for another minute or two if you prefer a browned topping, then garnish with lemon and herbs and serve.
Tips for the perfect dish
- This recipe works well with both fresh and frozen fish. Be sure to thaw any frozen fish before placing it in the marinade.
- Be sure to use fillets that are similar in size and shape so that they cook at the same rate.
- The marinade can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- You can also grill your marinated fish for a smoky flavor.
- Serve baked cod with a side of rice pilaf, short pasta or mashed potatoes, and a green vegetable like broccoli or asparagus.
Baked cod flavor variations
While this dish is delicious as-is, you can add other ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Marinade: Feel free to add more ingredients to the marinade such as minced fresh ginger, chopped dill or chives, orange zest or Dijon mustard. You can also swap out the honey for brown sugar.
- Fish: While this marinade is designed to be paired with cod, it also works beautifully with salmon, swordfish, trout and snapper.
- Veggies: You can add some quick-cooking vegetables to your pan of fish such as sliced zucchini, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes or artichoke hearts.
- Toppings: Sprinkle some toppings onto your fish such as panko breadcrumbs or parmesan cheese. You can also add a handful of toasted pine nuts to the finished dish.
This dish takes ordinary cod and turns it into something spectacular. The flavors are mild enough for kids to enjoy, yet pleasing to adult palates as well.
More seafood recipes to try
Baked Cod Video
- 1 1/4 pounds cod cut into 4 fillets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- cooking spray
- lemon wedges and fresh herbs for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, soy sauce, lemon zest, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the fish to the bowl and spoon the marinade over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the cod fillets into the prepared dish. Spoon the marinade over the fish. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until fish is opaque and just cooked through.
- Turn on the broiler. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until edges of fish are browned.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs and lemon wedges.
DELISH! I love cod and this recipe is a winner! I doubled the marinade recipe as I also marinated 2 dozen shrimp. About 5 minutes before the cod was done, I added the shrimp and returned it to the oven. Big hit with the hubby and he doesn’t like cod! If DOUBLING the marinade ingredients, go easy on the thyme as it has a strong flavor.
100% family approved! Great, easy recipe with a lot of flavor.
Light, flavorful and delicious. We had this over angel hair pasta I sautéed in garlic, butter and onion with some halved cherry tomatoes. Lovely change of pace dinner. Thank you.
Is there a recipe for the tomato-green-bean side dish shown in the picture? That looks heavenly too!
This is the recipe! https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/succotash-recipe/
If out of olive oil can you substitute with vegetable oil?
Yes but I’d only use 1-2 tablespoons since vegetable oil doesn’t add flavor!
Thank you for this recipe. My husband and I loved it!!!
I’ve made this several times, and each time the herbs and ingredients vary some and it’s always great. I love halving cherry tomatoes and putting a bunch in with the cod. Thanks!
My kids and husband LOVED this recipe!!
Cod is about the only fish my kids will eat! They love it flavored this way!
Love the combination of flavors in your marinade. The baked cod looks absolutely scrumptious!
Yum! This is so delicious and tasty! My family is going to love this! I can’t wait to make this again soon!
Love how healthy and flavorful this recipe is! It turned out great! 🙂
We’ve been trying to add more fish to our diet, and this looks like the perfect recipe to try! Thanks so much for sharing!
YUM! Such a flavorful recipe!
My family will love this baked cod! Our new favorite recipe for sure!
I haven’t had Cod in a really long time! My husband is the seafood master, so it looks like I know what he can cook next!
I can’t wait to make this cod dinner! It’s perfect for dinner any night of the week, but elegant enough for date nights.
My daughter and I love this recipe! It’s so delicious and full of flavor! I can’t wait to make this again soon!
This is the perfect way for us to change up our normal dinner routine. With so many heavy dishes this time of year, this is wonderfully light.