This avocado toast is fresh avocado mashed with lemon juice, olive oil and seasonings, then spread over sourdough bread. A quick and easy meal or snack option that can be customized in so many different ways.
Avocado toast is all the rage, and for good reason. A perfectly ripe avocado is great on its own, but when you pair it with crispy bread and some seasonings, you have a hearty snack or light meal that’s sure to satisfy.
How do you make avocado toast?
The first step is to choose your bread. This is actually very important, because the bread you choose makes a big impact on the final outcome. I typically like to use a rustic sourdough bread. Brush your bread with a little olive oil, then place it in the toaster. While the bread is toasting, mix together avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mash the avocado to make a coarse paste, then spread it onto your toast. Add a garnish of fresh herbs if desired, then serve immediately.
How to choose an avocado
The best avocado toast is made from perfectly ripe avocados. Typically an avocado is ripe when the skin darkens from green to a darker black color. Gently squeeze the avocado, it should have a bit of give and not be rock hard or feel mushy. Avocados can over-ripen quickly, so if you find one that’s ripe and you’re not planning to eat it right away, store it in the fridge to prevent it from ripening any further. If you have an avocado that’s not quite ripe, you can speed up the ripening process by placing it in a brown paper bag along with an apple for 2 days.
Tips for the perfect avocado toast
- While I personally like sourdough bread, you can make this recipe with any type of hearty bread such as multigrain, pumpernickel, rye or french bread.
- I typically use ripe Hass avocados, although this recipe will work with other varieties of avocado.
- This recipe is best served immediately, as the avocado mixture will eventually start to brown.
- If you need to make your avocado mixture in advance, add a thin layer of olive oil or lemon juice on top to prevent browning. Stir the lemon juice or olive into into the mix right before serving.
- Feel free to double or even triple this recipe to feed a crowd.
Is avocado toast healthy?
Avocado is a great source of healthy fat, and contains plenty of vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, B6 and K, and riboflavin, niacin and folate. It is a great addition to a healthy diet. For maximum nutritional value, use a whole wheat bread to add fiber and protein to your meal.
You can serve your avocado toast as-is, or add a variety of toppings to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- BLT: Add quartered cherry tomatoes, cooked crumbled bacon and shredded romaine lettuce.
- Smoked Salmon: Use thinly sliced smoked salmon, shaved red onion and fresh dill.
- Caprese: Try halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- Eggs: Add 1 scrambled or fried egg over your toast.
- Greek: Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of feta cheese over the toast, along with 1 tablespoon each of cucumber, tomato and kalamata olives.
- Mexican: Add a spoonful of pico de gallo and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
You can never go wrong with avocado toast, it’s perfect for pretty much any time of the day, and is always a big hit with both kids and adults alike!
More fabulous avocado recipes
Avocado Toast Video
- 4 slices rustic style bread I use sourdough
- 2 medium avocados peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 5 teaspoons olive oil divided use, plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs optional
- Brush 2 teaspoons of olive oil over the slices of bread. Toast the bread.
- Place the avocado, remaining 3 teaspoons of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mash into a coarse paste.
- Spread the avocado mixture over the toast. Garnish as desired with olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs. Serve immediately.
This post is sponsored by The Rustik Oven Bread. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible! This post was originally published on December 17, 2018 and was updated on March 18, 2020 with new content.