This recipe for avocado toast includes three different flavor variations with caprese, BLT and smoked salmon options. Avocado toast is a festive yet easy appetizer for any gathering and also makes for the perfect lighter breakfast or lunch!
I love avocado toast, and lately I’ve started serving it at parties with different toppings as a fun appetizer offering. It’s always the first thing to go, people just love it and it couldn’t be any simpler to make!
This post is sponsored by The Rustik Oven Bread. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
When most people think of avocado toast, they think of sliced or smashed avocado on a slice of bread. While that’s definitely considered avocado toast in its most basic form, I’ve dressed up this classic recipe by adding some fun toppings. My version of avocado toast makes a perfect appetizer or light meal for a party!
How do you make avocado toast?
The first step is to choose your bread. This is actually very important, because the bread you choose makes a big impact on the final outcome. I love to use The Rustik Oven bread – it’s hearty enough to stand up to the toppings of this toast, and the flavor is excellent. I use The Rustik Oven bread for just about everything – it makes an amazing grilled cheese sandwich, I pack it in my kids lunches, and I even use it for French toast! The Rustik Oven bread comes in three varieties, and I actually use them all by pairing the different flavors with different toppings. The variety is especially fun when you’re putting together a party tray!
You want to toast your bread so that it’s lightly browned, and then you can start layering on the toppings.
My avocado topping is a combination of ripe avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. The seasonings really bring out the flavor of the avocado, and the lemon juice helps to prevent it from turning brown.
Avocado Toast Variations
While you can absolutely just serve The Rustik Oven bread with the avocado spread on top, it’s much more fun to add some toppings to make your avocado toast party worthy.
- BLT: Add quartered cherry tomatoes, cooked crumbled bacon and shredded romaine lettuce.
- Smoked Salmon: Add thinly sliced smoked salmon, shaved red onion and fresh dill.
- Caprese: Add halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls, basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Tips for avocado toast
- Avocado toast tastes best when served immediately after assembling.
- To save time before a party, you can prepare your ingredients ahead by cooking the bacon, cutting up the tomatoes and slicing the lettuce and red onion.
- While these three flavor variations are general guidelines, you can really create as many different varieties as you like! Other great ingredients to try on top of avocado toast are arugula, fried eggs, shrimp or other cheeses.
Try this avocado toast for your next gathering as an appetizer, or serve it at a brunch. Either way your guests will be thrilled!
- 6 slices The Rustik Oven Bread I use 2 slices of Artisan White, 2 slices of Sourdough, 2 slices of Hearty Grains & Seeds
- 4 avocados peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes divided use
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce shredded
- 1/4 cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup smoked salmon thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill sprigs
- 1/3 cup pearl sized fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 tablespoon small basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- Cut The Rustik Oven bread slices in half crosswise. I recommend using the Sourdough bread for the BLT toast, the Artisan White for the caprese toast, and the Hearty Grains & Seeds for the smoked salmon toast.
- Toast the bread until light golden brown.
- Place the avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocado to make a coarse paste.
- Spread the avocado over the bread slices.
- Cut half of the cherry tomatoes into quarters and cut the remaining cherry tomatoes in half.
- Arrange the quartered cherry tomatoes, romaine lettuce and bacon over 4 avocado toast slices.
- Arrange the smoked salmon, red onion and dill over 4 avocado toast slices.
- Arrange the halved cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls and basil over the remaining 4 avocado toast slices. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Serve the avocado toast immediately.