This recipe for antipasto salad is loaded with Italian meats, cheese and veggies, all tossed in a homemade zesty dressing.
To me, there’s not much better than a giant salad, and this antipasto salad definitely fits the bill. This amazing salad is just loaded with meat, cheese, olives, veggies, you name it! Top it off with a homemade Italian style dressing and you’ve got salad perfection.
Let’s start by talking about the ingredients – you can really use whatever lettuce you like for this antipasto salad, I tend to just buy one of those bags of pre-washed mixed greens. I top this salad with salami, prosciutto, olives, mozzarella balls, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, chickpeas and pepperoncini peppers. Other great options would be pepperoni, marinated mushrooms, shaved parmesan cheese, roasted veggies like eggplant or asparagus, the list goes on and on! I like to use marinated artichoke hearts and mozzarella balls, it just adds even more flavor to the mix.
The dressing for this salad is one of my all-time favorites, I use it for almost everything including my famous Greek chopped salad. The herbs and spices go so well with all of the antipasto flavors, it’s a match made in salad heaven. The dressing can be made up to a week in advance which is great for when you’re trying to plan ahead.
This antipasto salad is perfect for a main course or as a hearty appetizer or side dish. When I serve it as a main course I often have Italian style bread on the side, like focaccia, or even breadsticks! However you serve it, it’s sure to be a hit at a party, as a filling lunch, or for a quick and easy dinner option.
For the salad:
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup chopped salami
- 1/2 cup chopped prosciutto
- 1/4 cup olives I used kalamata
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped (jarred or homemade)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 1/2 cup marinated mozzarella balls drained
- 4-6 small pepperoncini peppers
- optional garnish: chopped parsley
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing: Place all of the salad dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl; toss with half of the dressing.
- Arrange the meats, cheese, olives, chickpeas and vegetables on top of the greens. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the top and serve, garnished with parsley if desired.