This Mexican 7 layer dip recipe is a combination of beans, sour cream, guacamole, salsa and toppings, all layered together and served with tortilla chips. The ultimate make-ahead party snack!
Whenever I’m entertaining, I put out a variety of dips such as rotel dip, corn dip and this layered Mexican dip. This recipe has been in my family for years, and it’s always a huge hit with family and friends.
For every single holiday or gathering, my mom makes 7 layer dip. It’s become a tradition! What I love about this dip is that it takes just minutes to put together, is easy to customize to your tastes, and is totally delicious!
When I want a Latin feast, I like to pair this dip with savory carne guisada, Chipotle carnitas or ground beef tacos! Imagine all the ways you could enjoy this dip!
How do you make 7 layer dip?
This recipe is as simple as spreading the ingredients into layers in a dish. The dip starts with refried beans, which are topped with sour cream. A layer of guacamole goes on top of that, then a layer of salsa. The finishing touches are a sprinkle of cheese, olives and green onions. I also like to add some chopped tomatoes for color, but that’s an optional step. Serve your dip with a pile of tortilla chips and watch the rave reviews come in!
Tips for the perfect dip
- Use an offset spatula to spread the ingredients into even layers.
- You can use low fat cheese and low fat sour cream to save a few calories.
- Feel free to use homemade or store bought guacamole, they both work great.
- I recommend using freshly grated cheddar cheese. The bags of pre-shredded cheese at the grocery store often contain anti-caking agents and preservatives, which can affect the taste and texture of the cheese.
- Take care to cover the whole layer of guacamole with the salsa. The acid in the tomatoes will prevent the guacamole from turning brown.
- This dip can be made up to 8 hours before you plan to serve it. Store your dip covered in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
7 layer dip variations
While this recipe is a fairly traditional version of this popular appetizer, you can swap out layers for other ingredients, or even add more layers!
- Spicy Dip: Add 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos.
- Veggie Lover’s Dip: Add a layer or two of vegetables such as sauteed peppers and onions, or roasted corn.
- Meat Eater’s Dip: Add a layer of cooked, crumbled ground beef or cooked shredded chicken.
- Cheese Fan’s Dip: Add a second layer of pepper jack cheese between the beans and the sour cream.
Can you heat up 7 layer dip?
You can heat 7 layer dip if you prefer to serve it warm. That being said, I really think this works better as a cold dip, because the flavor and texture of the sour cream and guacamole could change if they’re heated up. If you’re planning to serve this as a warm dip, I’d recommend using a different combination of layers such as ground beef, beans, cheese, olives, salsa, corn and salsa.
How long does 7 layer dip last in the fridge?
This dip has the best flavor and texture if you serve it within 8 hours. The avocado in the guacamole will eventually turn brown, even with the acidic salsa on top.
I hope this dip is as big of a hit with your family as it is with mine!
More delicious dip recipes
7 Layer Dip Video
7 Layer Dip
- 16 ounce can refried beans
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups guacamole
- 12 ounce tub fresh chunky salsa drained, can also use pico de gallo
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- optional garnish: 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- Spread the refried beans in an even layer in a 9 or 10 inch bowl or serving dish.
- Spread the sour cream on top, then spread the guacamole over the sour cream.
- Spread the salsa over the guacamole. Top with shredded cheese, olives and green onions. Sprinkle diced tomatoes over the top (optional).
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips, or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
My favorite go to appetizer. My family wants this on all events ! Easy to travel in a covered container too.
this dip is the best ever!
Making this again for game day weekend. Delicious!
This dip is amazing and so easy to whip up! I appreciated the tips about the shredded cheese. I’ve bought the bags a lot and have been baffled when sometimes it won’t melt!
Always up for a good seven layer dip! I eat it off the spoon!
My favorite dip always! I make one for the party and one for me!
This dip looks really amazing! A sure hit at any party!
YUM! This looks so delicious and I love the photos!
LOVE 7 layer dip and it is perfect for game day coming up!
This sounds like the perfect dip to make. Looks incredibly delicious.
This is a staple on our game day table. I will have to give this recipe a try on Sunday.
This is our favorite seven layer dip – perfect for our parties and get togethers!
This dip is always a HIT!
This is seriously making me hungry!