This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
This recipe for blueberry bread pudding has a streusel topping and is finished off with a drizzle of salted caramel. The ultimate comfort food!
We have this restaurant in our town where the food is good but the desserts are even better. The owner gets up at the crack of dawn and churns out about ten different dessert options every day. Each time I go there a seasonal bread pudding is on the menu – last time it was a blueberry bread pudding and I’ve been wanting to recreate it at home ever since. I think I did pretty well with this blueberry almond bread pudding, everyone loved it and it might even be better than the restaurant version!
I used a challah (egg bread) for this pudding. Most stores sell some type of challah or other egg bread, you could also use brioche or a french bread. I layered bread cubes with fresh blueberries and Blueberry Blue Diamond Almonds and poured the custard mixture over the top. I wanted to add a little texture so I created a streusel to sprinkle over the top and added some chopped Salted Caramel Blue Diamond Almonds for crunch.
I couldn’t stop there – yes, the streusel adds something special but I also felt like a sauce was in order. I went with salted caramel to complement the almonds and that was an excellent choice! If you want to take it even further you can add a dollop of whipped cream and some fresh berries, and all of a sudden a humble blueberry bread pudding dessert becomes something spectacular.
This is a great make-ahead dessert; you can bake the pudding a day in advance and add the salted caramel sauce right before you serve it. If somehow you have leftovers you can even serve it as a decadent breakfast the next day – I won’t judge you! Either way, this blueberry bread pudding is sure to please any crowd.
- For the pudding:
- Cooking spray
- 7 cups cubed challah bread (can also use brioche or french bread)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of milk (I used whole milk)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup Blueberry Blue Diamond Almonds, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the streusel:
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup Salted Caramel Blue Diamond Almonds, finely chopped
- For serving:
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce (store bought or homemade)
- whipped cream (optional)
- fresh blueberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 inch square pan with cooking spray. In the pan, place ⅓ of the bread cubes in a single layer. Add half of the blueberries and almonds. Top with another ⅓ of the bread cubes. Add the remaining blueberries and almonds. Top with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Pour over the bread and blueberry mixture; make sure the bread is completely covered by the custard.
- To make the streusel, mix together the flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into the flour and sugar with two forks or a pastry blender until coarse, pebble sized crumbs form. Stir in the almonds. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the bread pudding.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until bread pudding is golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool for at least 30 minutes. Drizzle salted caramel over the top and serve with whipped cream and extra blueberries if desired.