This sun dried tomato chicken is juicy golden brown chicken breasts smothered in a creamy spinach and sun dried tomato sauce. An easy dinner that’s perfect served over pasta!
When I make this chicken in sun dried tomato sauce, I feel like I’m eating at a restaurant. It’s so incredibly delicious and is ready in under 30 minutes.
I feel like sun dried tomatoes are one of those under utilized kitchen ingredients. They’re convenient to keep on hand and pack SO much flavor, they make any dinner taste special. I’ve paired the tomatoes with fresh spinach and a parmesan cream sauce for this delectable sun dried tomato chicken. This is the perfect dinner for a busy night because it cooks quickly, is super satisfying and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients.
How to make sun dried tomato chicken
The first ingredient in this recipe is the chicken. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts cut thin so that they cook quickly. You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs or thicker chicken breasts, but you’ll need to increase the cook time. The chicken breasts are seared to golden brown perfection, then removed from the pan so that the sauce can be made.
The sauce is a creamy parmesan base with the addition of fresh spinach and sun dried tomatoes. If you don’t have spinach, kale would also be a great choice. The chicken gets returned to the pan and is smothered in the super delicious sauce. Add a bit of parsley and you’re done!
My favorite way to serve this sun dried tomato chicken is on a bed of pasta to soak up all the sauce. I typically use angel hair pasta which cooks in just minutes. Other great choices are orzo, polenta, or even quinoa.
Sometimes I make this creamy sun dried tomato sauce and serve it plain over penne pasta, or add some shrimp. It’s even great over pork chops.
If you’re looking for a restaurant quality meal at home, this sun dried tomato chicken is a must try. While it’s easy enough for a weeknight, it’s also elegant enough to serve to company!
More chicken recipes
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Baked Fried Chicken
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken
- 1 1/4 lbs thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan; place on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Melt the butter in the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk until combined with the butter.
- Add the chicken broth and heavy cream to the pan. Whisk until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese. Add the spinach and sun dried tomatoes. Cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Turn off the heat. Add the chicken back to the pan and spoon the sauce over it. Top with parsley and serve.
- I buy thin cut chicken breasts for this recipe. If your chicken breasts are thick, either increase the cook time or use a knife to cut them in half lengthwise.