This Mexican mule is a cocktail with tequila, ginger beer and lime, all combined to create a refreshing drink. A unique and easy offering for parties!
Many people enjoy a classic Moscow mule, but have you ever tried a Mexican mule? This twist on traditional mule cocktails uses tequila with amazing results. It’s the perfect drink for Cinco de Mayo.
Table of Contents
Mexican Mule Ingredients
To make this recipe, you will need tequila blanco (silver tequila), fresh lime juice and ginger beer. You can also use garnishes such as fresh mint leaves or lime wedges.
How Do You Make A Mexican Mule?
Pour the tequila and lime juice into a copper cup full of ice. Add the ginger beer, then stir to combine. Garnish with limes and mint sprigs if you like, then serve immediately and enjoy.
Tips For The Perfect Drink
- This recipe makes one strong drink. You can easily scale up the recipe for a larger crowd by simply changing the number of servings on the recipe card.
- I typically use a tequila blanco for my Mexican mule because I feel that the flavor pairs well with the citrus in the mule. It’s fine to use a different type of tequila if you have a strong preference for another variety!
- Ginger beer is a sweet, fizzy beverage that is sold in the alcohol mixers area or soda aisle. It is what gives this mule its characteristic flavor.
- Choose freshly squeezed lime juice for the best flavor.
If you prefer a shaken cocktail, you can place the tequila and lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Seal the container and shake to blend, then pour the liquid into the cup of ice and add the ginger beer.
A Mexican mule contains tequila, while a Moscow mule contains vodka. Both drinks include ginger beer and lime juice in their ingredient lists.
Tequilas typically fall under the category of blanco, reposado and anejo. These labels refer to how long the tequila is aged and how the liquor is distilled.
This cocktail is delicious as-is, but you can switch up some of the ingredients to suit your taste.
- Alcohol: Feel free to use mezcal instead of tequila. You can also use vodka for a traditional Moscow mule, Irish whiskey for an Irish mule, or bourbon for a Kentucky mule. You can also substitute some of the tequila for triple sec for a different flavor.
- Juice: Feel free to add up to 1 ounce of fruit juice to the Mexican mule such as orange juice.
- Flavorings: If you prefer a sweeter drink, feel free to add some agave nectar or simple syrup. For a little kick, add a few jalapeno slices.
This Mexican mule is great for a hot day, tastes great, and I love how quick and easy it is to put together!
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
- 3 ounces tequila blanco
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 6 ounces ginger beer
- garnishes such as lime slices and mint sprigs
- Fill a 16 ounce copper mug 2/3 of the way full with ice cubes.
- Pour the tequila over the ice.
- Add the fresh lime juice to the mug.
- Pour in the ginger beer and gently stir to combine.
- Add garnishes of your choice such as limes and mint, then serve immediately.
- Ginger beer is a sweet fizzy drink. You can buy it in small bottles in the mixers area near the alcohol or sometimes it is in the soda area. If you can’t find it, you can use ginger ale although the flavor won’t be quite the same.
- This recipe makes one strong drink. You can easily adjust the number of servings in the recipe card to fit your occasion and the ingredient amounts will scale up.
- If you prefer to shake your mule, you can place the tequila and lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Shake the ingredients together, then pour them over the ice in the mug and add the ginger beer.