These grilled sweet potatoes are cut into wedges then cooked on the grill until smoky and tender. The finishing touch is a drizzle of homemade cilantro lime dressing that adds tons of flavor and turns this simple side dish into an elegant offering.
When I’m grilling during the warmer months, I always like to add some veggies to the mix such as grilled brussels sprouts, grilled eggplant, grilled corn on the cob and these zesty grilled sweet potatoes.
You can’t go wrong with grilled vegetables – they’re easy to make and packed full of flavor. One of my favorite summer side dishes is grilled sweet potatoes. This dish is quick and easy to make, and always gets rave reviews from family and friends.
Table of Contents
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe include sweet potatoes, olive oil, lime juice, honey, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. All of these ingredients are easy to find at any grocery store, and you likely already have the spices in your pantry!
How Do You Make Grilled Sweet Potatoes?
This recipe starts with sweet potatoes, which are peeled and cut into wedges. Boil or steam the sweet potatoes until they’re just softened, then coat the potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the potato wedges on a grill and cook for a few minutes per side or until golden brown. While the sweet potatoes are on the grill, prepare a simple dressing with olive oil, lime juice, spices and fresh cilantro. Drizzle the dressing over the cooked potatoes, then serve and enjoy.
Tips For The Perfect Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Look for sweet potatoes that are similar in shape and size so that the wedges will cook evenly. I typically use smaller potatoes that aren’t overly thick.
- This recipe stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you’re making this dish in advance, I recommend storing the dressing separate from the potatoes, then tossing them together at the last minute.
- I like the look of sweet potato wedges and find that they’re less likely to fall through the grill grates. That being said, this recipe also works with sweet potato slices. If you’re using slices, you can avoid having them fall into the grill by grilling them on a sheet of foil.
- These potatoes pair well with main course options such as smoked pork chops, grilled swordfish, grilled pork tenderloin and grilled lamb chops.
No outdoor grill? Try using an indoor grill pan on the stove top. You can also broil the boiled potatoes for about 3-4 minutes per side instead of using a grill.
I recommend that you boil your sweet potatoes before you put them on the grill. Sweet potatoes are very dense and can take a long time to cook through on a grill. A raw sweet potato may dry out on the grill before it cooks all the way through on the inside, or worse yet, could burn. If you boil the potatoes first, you eliminate those potential complications and will end up with great results every time.
Sweet potatoes are a healthy addition to any diet and contain many nutritional benefits. They are loaded with fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium. This grilled sweet potato recipe also includes olive oil which is a healthy fat, as well as spices and cilantro which are also great additions to a healthy eating lifestyle.
Yes, you can eat the skin of sweet potatoes. I peel the sweet potatoes in this recipe only because sometimes the skins can get tough on the grill. If you prefer, it’s fine to leave the skin on your sweet potatoes.
These grilled sweet potatoes are delicious as-is, but you can add other ingredients to customize this recipe to your tastes.
- Vegetables: Feel free to combine your potatoes with other veggies such as mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, zucchini or red onions.
- Flavorings: I often add other flavors to the mix, some great options include finishing the dish with cooked crumbled bacon, smoked paprika, toasted sliced almonds or other herbs such as basil, green onions, thyme, rosemary or parsley.
- Cheese: You can add a sprinkle of cheese to the finished dish, some of my favorite options include parmesan and feta cheese.
Once you try these grilled sweet potatoes, you’ll find yourself making them all summer long. They’re just that good!
More Grilling Recipes To Try
Grilled Chicken Wings
1 hour hr 30 minutes mins
Grilled Zucchini with Garlic and Herbs
20 minutes mins
Grilled Salmon with Garlic and Herbs
1 hour hr 25 minutes mins
25 minutes mins
20 minutes mins
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Video
Love This Recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 8 wedges each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
For the sweet potatoes
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 7-10 minutes or until just tender.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium high heat.
- Drain the potatoes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently to coat.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the grill. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
For the dressing
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Drizzle the dressing over the warm potatoes. Serve immediately, garnished with additional cilantro if desired.
- Look for sweet potatoes that are similar in shape and size so that the wedges will cook evenly. I typically use smaller potatoes that aren’t too thick.
- This recipe will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you’re making this dish in advance, I recommend storing the dressing separate from the potatoes, then tossing them together at the last minute.
I made these sweet potatoes with dinner last night and OMG were they amazing! I’ll definitely be making them all summer long!
This is officially my new favorite way to enjoy sweet potatoes! Thank you for such a fab recipe! 🙂
One of the best way to enjoy sweet potatoes. So delicious.
Such a delicious way to enjoy sweet potatoes!
The cilantro lime dressing you put on top just took these sweet potatoes over the top! An incredible side dish for grilling season.
Delicious side dish that we all enjoyed!
These make a great side dish and even the kids ate them!
Tried this with dinner tonight and it didn’t disappoint! A delicious side dish and a great way to get my kids to eat their veggies!
Tried this with dinner tonight and not only was it super easy, but it was incredibly flavorful! Even my picky eaters enjoyed it!
My hubby has converted me to making sweet potatoes more than regular potatoes. They are my new fav & this was has to be the best!! Something about the grill & the flavor makes them amazing!
Seriously, so so good!! I think I need them this way, every time! They are perfectly tender & have the yummiest taste!
The best! Loved how tasty the sweet potato is after it’s grilled!
We love sweet potatoes here! These are our favorite by far! They are so delicious and flavor filled! Can’t wait to make these again!
Sweet potatoes are a favorite around here… love the cut on these! They eat like fries!
Love how easy this is to make!! Really a great side dish!
I’ve never tried grilled sweet potatoes. I will definitely try it soon!
These grilled sweet potatoes are mouth watering!
I need to try these asap, they look amazing!