This curry chicken salad is a blend of diced chicken, fresh veggies, dried fruit and nuts, all tossed together in a creamy spiced dressing. A quick and easy meal that’s perfect when served in a sandwich, with a side of buttery crackers or in refreshing lettuce cups.
I’m always looking for new options to spice up our everyday lunch options. Some of my favorites include turkey roll ups, seafood salad and this super flavorful curry chicken salad.
Chicken salad is always a hit in my house, and this curry chicken salad turns an ordinary lunch into something special. It’s got the perfect blend of exotic spices, tender chicken and crunchy vegetables!
How do you make curry chicken salad?
Dice cooked chicken breast into bite size pieces, then place it in a large bowl. Add minced celery, red onion, raisins, cashews and parsley. Whisk together a mayonnaise based dressing flavored with lemon and curry powder, then pour the dressing over the chicken, veggies and fruit. Stir everything together, then serve right away, or refrigerate for later use.
Tips for the best curry chicken salad
- You can use freshly cooked chicken breast, leftover chicken from a previous meal or store bought rotisserie chicken for this salad. You can dice or shred the meat, although I prefer the texture of diced chicken.
- I typically roast bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes, then let the meat cool, remove the skin and dice up the chicken.
- The dressing combines both mayonnaise and sour cream for the perfect creamy texture and optimal flavor. If you don’t have sour cream in the house, it’s fine to just use mayonnaise instead.
- This recipe calls for yellow curry powder, which is a mild blend of spices that can be found in all major grocery stores.
- Serve your curry chicken salad on a croissant, in a bowl with crackers on the side, or spoon the salad into lettuce for a low carb option.
- Looking to save a few calories? You can substitute light mayonnaise and light sour cream instead of the full fat versions.
How long does chicken salad last?
This salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store in an airtight container for best results. Curry chicken salad is not a good candidate for the freezer, as it can become watery when thawed.
Salad Flavor Variations
This salad is delicious as-is, but you can easily use different ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Fruit: Instead of (or in addition to) the raisins, try pineapple, diced apples, dried cranberries or fresh halved grapes.
- Nuts: Swap out the cashews for toasted chopped walnuts, pecans or slivered almonds.
- Herbs and Spices: Swap out the parsley for dill, green onions or basil. You can also add additional spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, or a touch of smoked paprika.
- Meat: Try diced roasted or smoked turkey instead of chicken for a different flavor.
Curry chicken salad is great for a light lunch, perfect for potlucks and makes for the ultimate sandwich!
More salads to sample
Curry Chicken Salad
Curry Chicken Salad
For the salad
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup celery diced small
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise can use light
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- Place the diced chicken in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, red onion, raisins, cashews and parsley to the bowl.
For the dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetable mixture. Toss gently to coat, then serve immediately, or refrigerate for later use.
This came out so good! The flavors were just perfect!
Oh wow this chicken salad looks absolutely amazing and full of delicious flavors!!
This Curry Chicken Salad looks so delicious! Will be perfect on a sandwich.
curried chicken salad is one of my favorite versions of chicken salad! cant wait to make this!
My family loves these curry chicken salad sandwiches! We have been making them for outdoor picnics now that the weather is getting warmer.
Lots of good flavor in this chicken salad!
This curry chicken salad sounds so flavourful and like the perfect filling for a sandwich! Might make some tomorrow for lunch, delicious!
My sister makes something similar that she loves. I’ll have to show her your recipe. Adding cashews is a great idea! Extra protein.
I love a good chicken salad recipe, but you just turned it up a notch! I have got to try this recipe this weekend! Thanks so much for sharing 😉
Curried chicken is so comforting and hearty and this is a perfect idea for the warm weather picnics! Looks delicious…I would love one for lunch right now!
This recipe came out so good! Enjoyed the chicken salad with some crackers and celery sticks. Will be making again!