This lobster salad is a combination of fresh lobster meat, vegetables and herbs in a light and creamy dressing. An easy yet elegant dish that makes for the perfect lighter main course option!
You can’t go wrong with seafood, whether it’s a seafood boil, crab dip or this simple yet totally satisfying lobster salad. Serve your salad on lettuce leaves or pile it into buns, then watch the rave reviews roll in.
Lobster is one of the ultimate culinary indulgences, I love to enjoy it broiled, grilled and in this fabulous lobster salad. This recipe takes less than 10 minutes to put together, and is great for parties, especially in the warmer months.
HOW TO COOK A LOBSTER
You can pick up lobster meat at the seafood department, or buy whole lobsters to cook yourself for this salad. To cook live lobsters, place 3 inches of salted water in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the lobsters, cover the pot, then cook for 7-8 minutes for a 1 1/4 pound lobster. Remove the lobsters from the water, then let them cool and remove the tail and claw meat from the lobsters. Cut the meat into bite sized pieces and you’ll be ready to proceed with the recipe. Need more guidance? Be sure to check out my full guide on how to cook a lobster.
How do you make lobster salad?
Place diced lobster meat in a bowl along with celery, lemon juice, chives, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Gently stir everything together until the salad is well combined. Serve the salad right away, or chill it for up to 4 hours before serving. Sprinkle additional chives over the top, then serve and enjoy.
Tips for the perfect salad
- This salad also works with shrimp, fresh crab, imitation crab or a combination of seafood.
- You can use low fat mayonnaise if desired.
- I recommend making sure your celery is finely chopped so that you don’t get large pieces in each bite.
- Be sure to use freshly squeezed lemon juice rather than the bottled type.
How long is lobster salad good for?
This salad stays fresh for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Lobster is a highly perishable ingredient, like most other types of seafood. It’s really best when eaten within 24 hours of when it is prepared for optional flavor and texture.
Can you freeze lobster salad?
I do not recommend freezing this salad, as it will be diluted and watery when thawed. That being said, you can freeze plain cooked lobster meat, then thaw it, pat it dry and use it in the salad.
Ways to serve this salad
You can eat lobster salad as-is, or serve it in a variety of different presentations.
- Lettuce: Spoon your lobster into butter lettuce leaves.
- Crackers: Serve your salad with a side of buttery crackers.
- Sandwich: Add your salad to a split top toasted bun along with some green leaf lettuce.
- Avocado: Spoon your lobster into an avocado half.
- Pasta: Add 8 ounces of cooked short pasta to make a pasta salad. Double the amount of the dressing.
- Cucumber: Spoon onto cucumber slices for an easy party snack.
- Puff Pastry: Fill up cooked puff pastry shells with the salad.
If you love lobster, you’ll adore this easy salad. This is one of my all time favorite ways to enjoy this succulent variety of seafood!
More seafood recipes you’ll enjoy
Lobster Salad Video
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked lobster meat approximately 3 1/2 cups, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped, use the tender inner stalks
- 1 tablespoon chives thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the lobster meat, mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, chives, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve immediately, or chill for up to 4 hours. Garnish with additional chives before serving.