This recipe for chicken caprese is grilled seasoned chicken, topped with fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, basil and balsamic reduction. A quick and easy dinner that’s easy enough for a busy weeknight but special enough to serve to company!
One of my favorite parts of summer is the tomatoes. We’ve had zero luck with growing tomatoes at this house, so I buy the best I can find at the farmer’s market and savor them. This chicken caprese just screams summer – grilled chicken, fresh mozzarella, summer’s finest tomatoes, basil and balsamic – what’s not to love?
How do you make chicken caprese?
This chicken caprese recipe is pretty straightforward, and the ingredients are fairly basic. The chicken is seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning. The Italian seasoning blend I buy is a mix of salt, garlic powder and dried basil, thyme and oregano. If you can’t find Italian seasoning or don’t want to buy it, just use equal parts of garlic powder, dried basil and dried oregano instead. Also – no grill or don’t feel like heating one up? Use a grill pan indoors instead, it’ll still be delicious!
Caprese Chicken Tips
- This caprese chicken is topped with a balsamic glaze, which is very different than regular old balsamic vinegar. Balsamic glaze is the vinegar that’s been cooked down to create a thick, syrupy liquid that’s more mellow than standard balsamic vinegar. I buy mine in the vinegar/salad dressing aisle. If you can’t find it at your store, it’s pretty easy to make it yourself.
- Use chicken breasts that are all the same size and thickness so that they cook at the same rate. I often buy the thin cut chicken breasts because they cook so much faster.
- Tomatoes not in season? Try making this dish with a topping of oil packed whole sun dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.
- I like to finish off my caprese chicken with a sprinkling of flaky sea salt, it really accentuates the flavor of the tomatoes.
This chicken recipe is destined to become your favorite summertime dinner. I’ve made it countless times this month, it’s such a fun twist on the classic caprese salad. And besides, we’ve got to use up all the ripe tomatoes while they’re still in season!
More great chicken recipes
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Italian Chicken
- Cashew Chicken
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Chicken Caprese Video
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry italian seasoning (or equal parts of garlic powder dried oregano and dried basil)
- 4 thick slices of ripe tomato
- 4 1- ounce slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over chicken breasts and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle italian seasoning over the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until done. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- When chicken is done top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and place chicken breasts on a plate. Top each breast with 1 slice of tomato, thinly sliced basil and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.