This cannoli dip is a blend of two types of sweet Italian cheeses, sugar and chocolate chips, all blended together to make a creamy dip that tastes just like the inside of a cannoli. Serve your dip with graham crackers, cookies, cannoli shells and fruit, then watch the rave reviews roll in.
I love cannolis, but let’s be real, they can be difficult to make from scratch. Between frying the shells, making the filling and then putting the whole thing together, it can be a labor of love. This cannoli dip has all the same great flavors but takes just minutes to put together.
What is cannoli dip made of?
This dip contains just a handful of ingredients that are available at most grocery stores.
- Ricotta Cheese: This type of cheese can be found in the dairy section of every grocery store. I choose whole milk ricotta whenever possible as I think it has a richer flavor.
- Mascarpone Cheese: I recommend using mascarpone cheese in this dip, which is essentially an Italian cream cheese. It has a lighter flavor and creamier texture than standard cream cheese. This cheese is sold in tubs in the specialty cheese area of most grocery stores If you can’t locate mascarpone, feel free to substitute standard cream cheese.
- Powdered Sugar: Also known as confectioner’s sugar, you want to opt for this variety over regular granulated sugar as it will blend into the dip better and not leave a gritty texture.
- Vanila Extract: Go for pure vanilla extract, avoid the imitation version.
- Chocolate Chips: You will want to use miniature chocolate chips for authentic cannoli taste and texture. If you can’t find mini chips, you could finely chop a bar of high quality semisweet chocolate and stir it into the dip.
How do you make cannoli dip?
Place the ricotta and mascarpone cheeses in a bowl, then beat until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla, then beat to combine. Stir in a healthy amount of chocolate chips, leaving another few tablespoons for garnish. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the dip, then serve with the dippers of your choice.
Tips for the perfect dip
- This dip can be made up to 8 hours before you plan to serve it. Let the dip sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before you plan to eat it, and add the chocolate chip garnish right before serving.
- Serve your dip with a variety of dipping options such as broken waffle cones, waffle or pizzelle cookies, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, pre-made cannoli shells or strawberries. The possibilities are endless!
- For an extra creamy dip, puree the ricotta in a food processor before you beat it with the mascarpone cheese.
While this dip is fabulous as-is, you can add other ingredients to make it your own!
- Fruit: Add some fruit flavors with chopped candied orange peel, mixed candied fruit, candied cherries or freshly grated orange zest.
- Nuts: Stir in some finely chopped pistachios or add them on top of the dip as a garnish.
- Flavorings: Add a little almond extract, or stir in some cocoa powder for a chocolate version of this dip.
Cannoli dip is sure to be the hit of the party – it’s full of flavor, easy to make, and fun to eat!
More dips to try
Cannoli Dip Video
- 15 ounce tub ricotta cheese I prefer whole milk
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese softened, cream cheese is also fine
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips divided use
- dippers such as cookies, waffle cone pieces, prepared cannoli shells and strawberries
- Place the ricotta and mascarpone cheeses in the bowl of a mixer. Beat at medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl. Beat at low speed until combined.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dip into a serving bowl. Top with the rest of the chocolate chips, then serve with assorted dippers.