This recipe for beef and broccoli stir fry is a classic dish of beef sauteed with fresh broccoli florets and coated in a savory sauce. You can have a healthy and easy dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
This chicken and broccoli stir fry has been one of the most popular recipes on my site for years, it was only a matter of time before a beef and broccoli stir fry came to be! This recipe tastes just like something you’d order at a Chinese restaurant, but is super easy to make at home.
How Do You Make Beef And Broccoli Stir Fry?
The beef in this recipe is thinly sliced flank steak. I find that it can sometimes be tricky to slice steak, so I typically put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I slice it. Freezing the meat helps to firm it up so that you can get thinner slices. The beef and broccoli get sauteed and then are coated in an easy sauce. The sauce primarily contains ingredients that you already have in your pantry with the exception of one ingredient: oyster sauce. I get a lot of questions about oyster sauce! Oyster sauce is a brown Chinese sauce that can be found in the ethnic aisle of most grocery stores. It is different than fish sauce, which is typically used in Thai and Vietnamese cooking. If you can’t find oyster sauce or don’t want to use it, you can substitute hoisin sauce. Hoisin sauce isn’t exactly the same but still makes for a great dish.
This beef and broccoli stir fry is a great way to satisfy your Chinese food cravings without picking up the phone to call for takeout. I typically start a pot of rice at the same time I make my stir fry, that way all of my dinner components will be ready at the same time. Even my kids love this one!
Other recipes you’ll love
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Pineapple Chicken
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Kung Pao Shrimp
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 1/4 lbs flank steak thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil divided use
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth or water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Remove the broccoli from the pan; place on a plate and cover.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and turn the heat to high. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Season the steak pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan in a single layer - you may need to do this step in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.
- Add the broccoli mixture back to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes or until warmed through.
- In a bowl whisk together the oyster sauce, chicken broth, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce. In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water.
- Pour the oyster sauce mixture over the beef and vegetables; cook for 30 seconds. Add the cornstarch and bring to a boil; cook for 1 more minute or until sauce has just started to thicken.
- Serve immediately, with rice if desired.