This post is sponsored by Kitchen Fair. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible!
This recipe for chicken and broccoli stir fry is a classic dish of chicken sauteed with fresh broccoli florets and coated in a savory sauce. You can have a healthy and easy dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
There’s nothing better than a quick and easy dinner recipe for when you don’t have a lot of time to cook, and this chicken and broccoli stir fry definitely fits the bill. This dish tastes like something you’d order at a Chinese restaurant, except it’s better for you (and cheaper!).
One of my favorite parts about this chicken and broccoli stir fry is the simplicity – just a handful of ingredients combine to make something delicious. You don’t need fancy ingredients to make a good meal, but you do need good quality cookware. Kitchen Fair recently sent me a 10″ fry pan from their Expressions line which I used to make this chicken stir fry. I love that their pans are made in America, dishwasher and oven safe, and that the Eterna® Black Galaxy non-stick coating is non toxic.
There are a few things about this pan that make it stand out from other pans that I own. This Kitchen Fair pan is deep, which means it can hold a lot more food than my other pans. It’s also very well made and has a multi-ply design with a stainless steel interior for durability and an aluminum core for even heating. It produced an amazing sear on my meat, the exterior of the chicken was deep golden brown and almost caramelized, exactly the way I like it!
For this chicken and broccoli stir fry, the meat and vegetables get cooked in the pan and then a simple sauce is poured over the top. The key ingredient to the sauce is oyster sauce, which can be found in the ethnic aisle of most grocery stores. It adds a complex flavor that really works well with the other components of the dish.
I like to start a pot of rice at the same time as I start my chicken stir fry – the rice will be done at the same time as your meat and veggies and you’ll have a complete meal in 30 minutes that the whole family will love!
Kitchen Fair pots and pans can be purchased through distributors, you can find out where the distributors are located here.
My family has already requested that I make this chicken and broccoli stir fry again soon, I think next time I may switch out the mushrooms for carrots to add a little variety – that’s the beauty of this type of dish, it’s so easy to customize to your personal taste!
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms if you don't like mushrooms you can add more broccoli instead
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and mushrooms and cook for approximately 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan; place them on a plate and cover.
- Wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and turn the heat to high. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add them to the pan in a single layer - you may need to do this step in batches. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan and cook for 2 more minutes or until the vegetables are warmed through.
- In a bowl whisk together the oyster sauce, chicken broth, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce. In a small bowl mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water.
- Pour the oyster sauce mixture over the chicken and vegetables; cook for 30 seconds. Add the cornstarch and bring to a boil; cook for 1 more minute or until sauce has just started to thicken.
- Serve immediately, with rice if desired.