These baked apples are stuffed with an oatmeal brown sugar filling, then baked until tender and juicy. Add a scoop of ice cream on top for a simple yet satisfying dessert that everyone is sure to love!
I love to cook with apples when they’re in season, especially sweet treats like apple fries, apple pie and these delicious stuffed apples.
There’s nothing better than a whole baked apple, especially when it’s filled with delicious ingredients like brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. These are the best baked apples that I’ve ever had, and they can be in the oven with just 10 minutes of prep time.
How do you make baked apples?
To make baked apples you need a sweet and delicious filling. Make the filling by mixing together brown sugar, walnuts and oats with melted butter. Next, you need to prepare the apples by coring them to make a large enough hole to fit the filling. Place the cored apples in a baking dish and stuff them with filling. Bake the apples with a little apple juice at the bottom of the baking dish to keep the apples moist. When the apples are tender, serve the apples with ice cream or caramel sauce.
Tips for baked apples
- You can modify your filling to include some different flavors. Feel free to use chopped almonds or pecans instead of walnuts or you can add raisins or coconut to the filling.
- If your apples do not stand upright, you can cut the bottom of the apple to level it out. Be sure not to cut into the cored hole in the apple.
- Hollow out apples with a melon baller or paring knife. You want to hollow out more than just the core, you need space in the apple to fit as much filling as you like.
- When stuffing the apples, make sure to pack the apples with filling and mound some of the filling on top.
- Make sure not to cut all the way through the bottom of the apples when you’re hollowing them out. If you do, the filling will leak out the bottom as the apples bake.
What’s the best apple for baking?
Since these baked apples have a sweet apple filling, you want to use a tangy, firm apple. I like to use Honeycrisp apples but Cameo, Envy, Pink Lady and Jazz apples are also good choices.
How long do baked apples last in the fridge?
Baked apples stay fresh in the refrigerator for three days. To reheat a single baked apple microwave it for about a minute. If you want to reheat several baked apples you can reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees F until warm.
There is a reason that baked apples are so popular; they are tender and juicy yet sweet and tangy. They are perfectly sized individual desserts that may be the best way to enjoy an apple.
More delicious apple recipes
- 6 apples such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pour the apple juice into the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Use a paring knife or melon baller to partially scoop out the inside of each apple. Arrange the apples in the baking dish.
- For the filling, put the flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, walnuts and salt into a medium bowl, stir to combine. Pour in the melted butter. Using a fork, stir the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the filling into the cavity of each apple. Bake the apples for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then serve, topped with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce if desired.
Do you remove the core?
Yes you should remove the core.
This was such an incredibly tasty recipe! Easy and made the house smell so good!
I topped them with the caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. So yummy! The whole house smelled amazing!
They are so delicious and look so cute! I had them ready to pop in the oven before my guests came. When you bake them the whole house smells wonderful ‘
This was such an incredibly tasty recipe; my whole home smelled delicious! Excited to make this again and again!
Baked apples? Looks pretty good! Can’t wait to try this. Yum.
Baked apples always remind me of my grandmother! They look so delicious!
Apples are our favorite fruit without question. These sound delicious and will be something to make while the kids are home. Yum!
Baked apples are a delicious and easy dessert and I love the filling that you used. I can’t wait for apple season so I can make these!
This is so unique! Love it!
Holy cow! These look fantastic! What a delicious treat!
Love your easy recipe for baked apples. I made them as a healthy dessert this weekend and they were a hit in my house!
Wow these apples look AMAZING!! I will give them a try this weekend! perfect for this weather 😉
Wow! I’m drooling over here looking at this. The filling alone sounds fabulous with the oats and brown sugar.