This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. Blue Diamond Almonds understand what it takes to be the best. That’s why we’re proud to be an official sponsor of USA Swimming. Visit www.LaneToGreatness.com for a chance to win $5,000 to fuel your dreams of greatness (whatever they may be), get Blue Diamond Almonds coupons and recipes, and more!
This recipe for chicken almond ding is a stir fry full of chicken, veggies and crunchy almonds, all tossed in a savory sauce. The perfect healthy dinner that’s ready in a flash!
I mentioned before that I’ve been on a health kick this summer. It’s pretty easy to eat healthy when there is so much amazing produce in season! Lately my favorite way to get my veggies in is a big stir fry, like this chicken almond ding. You’re probably wondering about the name of this dish – chicken almond ding isn’t a term you see every day! In fact, chicken almond ding is a type of Asian stir fry full of chicken, plenty of vegetables and toasted almonds, all in a light and savory sauce.
I use chicken breast in this recipe, although chicken thighs would also work. The great thing about this dish is that it’s so easy to mix and match the vegetables – I used broccoli, snow peas, bell peppers and mushrooms here, but you can use whatever veggies your family likes best. Water chestnuts and Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds add a lot of texture and crunch.
Blue Diamond Almonds is helping to fuel the USA Swim Team, in fact, they’re the official snack nut for the organization! You definitely need to check out their website for awesome recipes, coupons and a chance to win $5,000. I like to toast my Blue Diamond Almonds before I add them to my stir fry.
The sauce for this chicken almond ding is a simple combination of ingredients that you probably already have on hand. I like to serve this dish over steamed rice – even my kids love it! It’s a healthy and fast meal that I feel good about feeding my family.
- 1 and ¼ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups of assorted mixed vegetables such as small broccoli florets, snow peas, bell peppers and sliced mushrooms
- 1 8-ounce can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
- ½ cup Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds, toasted
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and hoisin sauce; set aside.
- In a large pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper and add it to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetables to the pan along with 2 teaspoons of water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp tender, approximately 4-5 minutes depending on the size of your vegetables. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken broth mixture to the pan and turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the almonds and serve immediately, over rice if desired.