This recipe for bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast with roasted potatoes and zucchini is a quick and easy one pan meal that’s sure to please any crowd! The chicken is stuffed with a an incredible combination of three cheeses, garlic and herbs.
As you already know, I’m a big fan of one pot and one pan meals. While those type of meals are awesome in almost every way, it can sometimes be difficult to create one pot meals with boneless chicken breasts because the meat can get dry while you’re waiting for the other components of the meal to cook. This bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast is the solution to the dry meat issue. The creamy three cheese filling provides plenty of flavor and moisture on the inside of the chicken and the bacon on the outside keeps the chicken from drying out. Everyone in my family cleaned their plates when I served this meal!
Have you ever stuffed a chicken breast before? It’s actually quite easy. The first step is to cut a slit along the side of the chicken breast to create a pocket to hold the stuffing, here’s an instructional video. The filling for this chicken is a mixture of cheddar, mozzarella and cream cheeses, along with a little garlic and parsley. You can either use a spoon to fill the chicken or put the filling into a large plastic bag and snip the tip to create a makeshift pastry bag to squeeze the filling into the chicken. Make sure to seal your chicken back up with toothpicks after you’ve added the filling and take caution to remove all the toothpicks before serving! The bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast goes on a sheet pan with potatoes and zucchini for a complete meal. I add the zucchini closer to the end of the baking time so that it doesn’t get mushy.
A little bit of the stuffing may leak out during the cooking process – that’s normal and will just add more flavor to those potatoes and veggies that are already roasting away in the bacon drippings! These bacon wrapped chicken breasts may be slightly more work than putting a regular old chicken breast in a pan to cook it, but it’s definitely worth the extra effort.
My picky eaters keep requesting this bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breast, that’s how you know it’s a good one! I love that everything cooks together on one pan for less dishes, and who could ever say no to all that bacon and cheese?!
- Cooking spray
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 pound of small new potatoes, halved (can also use regular sized potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into ½ inch pieces
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Using a small knife, cut a slit lengthwise partway across each chicken breast to create a deep pocket.
- In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, parsley and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the cheese mixture evenly into the pocket of each chicken breast. Alternatively you can put the filling into a plastic bag and snip the tip to create a makeshift pastry bag to squeeze the filling into the chicken. Use toothpicks to seal the pockets shut.
- Season the top of each chicken breast with salt and pepper then wrap 2 slices of bacon around each chicken breast.
- Place the chicken breasts on the sheet pan; scatter the potatoes around the chicken. Coat the potatoes in cooking spray and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and add the zucchini, season the zucchini with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Broil for an additional 3-5 minutes or until bacon is browned and crispy.
- Serve immediately, with chopped parsley as a garnish if desired.