This wedge salad recipe is chunks of iceberg lettuce topped with homemade blue cheese dressing, bacon, tomatoes and chives. A classic salad that’s easy to make, yet elegant enough to serve to company.
I serve a salad almost every day with dinner. Some of my favorites include fresh tomato salad, classic cucumber salad, and this steakhouse style wedge salad with the best dressing.
We have a steakhouse that makes the most amazing wedge salad. It comes out on a chilled plate with the perfect amount of creamy dressing, crispy bacon and fresh tomatoes. I’ve created my own version of this recipe, and I have to say, mine tastes just like the restaurant salad.
How do you make wedge salad?
Start by mixing together mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, blue cheese and seasonings to make a thick and creamy dressing. Cut lettuce into wedges, then add a drizzle of the dressing on top. Finish the lettuce wedges with diced tomato, crispy bacon, crumbed blue cheese and sliced chives. Serve immediately and enjoy.
How do you cut iceberg lettuce into wedges?
Wash your head of lettuce thoroughly, then remove any outer leaves that may be damaged or wilted. Cut a thin slice off the stem end of the lettuce. Slice the lettuce head in half lengthwise, then cut each half again so you end up with 4 pieces.
Tips for the perfect salad
- The blue cheese dressing can be made up to 3 days before you plan to serve it. Store it in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- Serve your salad on chilled plates for an extra special presentation.
- I prefer to use Roma tomatoes, as they don’t contain as many seeds. You can also use vine ripened tomatoes, or even cherry tomatoes that have been cut into halves or quarters.
- Use a good quality blue cheese since it is the main flavoring agent. I like a Danish or Maytag blue, or a French roquefort. Skip the pre-crumbled cheese in a tub and buy a wedge of high quality cheese instead.
- In my opinion, the homemade dressing really makes this wedge salad special. If you’re in a hurry, you can use store bought refrigerated blue cheese dressing instead of making your own.
Wedge salad flavor variations
This is a basic version of this salad. You can add other toppings to create your own variations on this classic dish.
- Protein: Instead of bacon, try using pancetta or prosciutto that’s cooked until crisp. You can also add diced cooked chicken or shrimp to make it a main course.
- Cheese: Feel free to add a little shredded cheddar on top of the salad instead of more blue cheese.
- Vegetables: This salad is also great with diced avocado, a sprinkle of fresh corn kernels, red onion or thinly sliced cucumber.
- Toppers: Add diced hard boiled eggs or small croutons for a great finish to the salad.
This salad is a great way to get the flavors of a steakhouse in the comfort of your own home. Add a rib eye or filet mignon and all the fixings, then enjoy a special night of food and fun!
More salad recipes you’ll enjoy
Wedge Salad Video
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons shallot finely minced
- 1/4 teaspon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbled
For the salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into 4 wedges
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup Roma tomato seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chives thinly sliced
- black pepper for serving
For the dressing
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready for use.
For the salad
- Arrange the iceberg wedges on 4 plates. You can chill the plates for an extra special presentation.
- Drizzle the dressing over each wedge. Top the wedges with bacon, tomato and blue cheese.
- Sprinkle with chives, then serve immediately. Top with a little freshly ground black pepper if desired.
I love this salad! However, I am the only one in the family who is a fan of blue cheese. Is there another cheese that I and substitute for them?
Mouth watering salad! I so love this recipe!
Enjoyed this for lunch today and it was perfectly light, refreshing and delicious! Excited to pair this with steak again tonight for dinner!
I love this wedge salad! It is easy to make and it turned out so delicious, my family enjoyed it!
I love a good wedge salad!! It’s pretty looking & tastes so good!
Love a good wedge salad when I order them out..never made them at home but oh my perfection!
I love a good wedge salad, and this beautiful presentation takes to the next level!
We made this sans bacon and it turned out amazingly well! Thanks for the great recipe! 🙂
This is such a great salad recipe!! Thank you so much!
Such a classic! love the homemade dressing in this recipe. It’s perfect!
This dressing recipe was so good. I thought the wedge would be a lot of salad to eat, but it really was a perfect portion. Great salad. Thanks for the recipe.
This wedge salad is so easy to make and the homemade dressing is absolutely delicious! So perfect for a nice lunch. Thanks for the recipe!