This chicken salad with grapes is a blend of chicken, fresh veggies, pecans and fruit, all tossed together in a creamy dressing. A quick and easy meal option that’s great when served as a sandwich, with a side of crackers or in lettuce cups.
I’m always looking for fast and simple ways to get lunch on the table. Some of my favorite options include rainbow veggie pinwheels, avocado tuna salad and this creamy and delicious chicken salad with grapes.
You can never go wrong with chicken salad – it’s flavorful, takes minutes to put together, and is a great way to use up leftovers. This chicken salad with grapes has the perfect blend of sweet and savory, and is always a big hit.
How do you make chicken salad with grapes?
Dice your chicken into bite size pieces, then place it in a large bowl. Add finely diced celery, red onion, halved red grapes and parsley. Stir together a mayonnaise based dressing, then pour the dressing over the chicken, grapes and vegetables. Serve immediately, or refrigerate for later use.
Tips for the perfect chicken salad with grapes
- You can use freshly cooked chicken, leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken for this salad. It’s fine to dice or shred the meat, although I prefer the texture of diced chicken.
- I use red grapes for color contrast, but green grapes will work just as well.
- The dressing combines both mayonnaise and sour cream for the perfect creamy flavor. If you don’t have sour cream on hand, it’s fine to use all mayonnaise instead.
- Serve your salad on a croissant, with a side of buttery crackers, or spoon it into lettuce for a lower carb option.
- Looking to save a few calories? It’s fine to substitute light mayonnaise and sour cream instead of the full fat varieties.
How long does homemade chicken salad last?
This chicken salad with grapes will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Store the salad in an airtight container for best results. I don’t recommend freezing this salad, as it can become watery when thawed.
This salad is fabulous as-is, but you can easily swap out the ingredients to customize the flavors to your tastes.
- Fruit: Instead of (or in addition to!) grapes, try pineapple, diced apples, dried cranberries or dried cherries.
- Nuts: Swap out the pecans for toasted chopped walnuts or sliced almonds.
- Herbs and Spices: Kick up the flavor with sliced green onions, chives, minced dill or fresh basil. Feel free to stir in some spices such as curry powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika or Italian seasoning for an additional flavor boost.
- Protein: Try diced turkey instead of chicken for a different take on this salad.
You will love the complex flavor of this simple salad. It’s great for a light lunch, perfect for potlucks and can even be dressed up by using it in tea sandwiches. The possibilities are endless!
More salads to savor
Chicken salad with grapes video
Chicken Salad with Grapes
For the salad
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup red grapes halved
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- Add the celery, red onion, grapes, pecans and parsley to the bowl.
For the dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetable mixture. Toss gently to coat, then serve.