This steak seasoning is a savory blend of herbs and spices, all mixed together to form the ultimate spice mix. This steak rub works well on all cuts of beef, and can also be used to season chicken, fish and pork with great results.
I love to make my own homemade seasonings and sauces, such as BBQ spice rub, zesty taco seasoning and this easy and flavorful steak seasoning.
There’s nothing better than a good steak, and this homemade steak seasoning takes an ordinary piece of meat, and turns it into something extraordinary. With just 5 minutes of prep time, this steak rub is definitely worth the effort!
What spices go well with steak?
The most common flavoring agents for steak are salt and pepper. While there’s nothing wrong with this simple preparation, I find that a blend of herbs and spices really complements the natural flavor of the meat. I recommend using a mix that includes any of the following seasonings.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dry Mustard
- Brown Sugar
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Chili Powder
How do you make steak seasoning?
This recipe is a blend of brown sugar and spices. The flavor profile includes both sweet and smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, dried thyme leaves and mustard power. Simply measure out all of the ingredients, then stir to combine. Use your spice blend right away, or store for later use.
Tips for the perfect spice blend
- This beef seasoning will stay fresh in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 6 months. I often make a double or triple batch so that I always have some on hand.
- It’s definitely worth seeking out smoked paprika for this recipe. The smoked version adds a ton of flavor and is readily available in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
- This rub can be used on other types of meat such as ribs, chicken, salmon, or other cuts of beef such as brisket.
- I recommend using freshly ground black pepper for maximum flavor.
Steak seasoning flavor variations
I love this spice blend recipe as it’s written, but you can absolutely add other flavors to the mix to customize it to your tastes.
- Spicy Steak Rub: Add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, or ground chipotle pepper to the mix.
- Garlic Lovers Rub: Double the amount of garlic in the recipe.
- Herb Lovers Rub: Add 1 teaspoon each of dried rosemary and parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano.
- Mexican Rub: Add 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1 teaspoon ground coriander to the mix.
How long before cooking should you season a steak?
If I have the time, I like to rub seasoning onto my steak a few hours before I cook it, so that the flavors have time to penetrate the meat. If you don’t have the time to wait, it’s also fine to season the steak right before you cook it. I recommend massaging the seasoning into the steak so that the spices really stick to the meat. If you choose to season your steak in advance, you can let it sit in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours before you plan to cook it.
I always have this steak seasoning on hand; it’s the perfect versatile spice blend to add flavor to almost any type of meat!
More steak recipes you’ll enjoy
Steak Seasoning Video
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Stir in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Steak seasoning keeps for up to 6 months in an airtight container when stored in a cool, dry place.
I charcoal grill most of our dinners all throughout the year. Always on the lookout for new steak rubs that will work for all round seasoning. I did notice the measured ingredients left out the crushed red pepper. I added a teaspoon and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I use it all the time.
Perfect blend of spices for grilled steaks
Easy to put together, bold flavor. I made a side of your steak sauce & the two went well together.
Amazing rub! I made whole chicken wings with this a few days ago. Because there is brown sugar in their rub, I used parchment paper for the first 40 minutes. I removed the paper for the last 10 minutes to crisp the wings.
I generously coated the wings
You have a steak seasoning video, why I’m not seeing it on your blog?
Gave this a try for dinner last night and it was a perfect blend of sweet and savory. Perfect on ribs!
This is really amazing! Just added it to our must-have! list
Such a perfect flavor combination!
This seasoning has a great flavor mix! It was fabulous on the ribeyes we grilled for dinner!
This is absolutely amazing! Great to have it on hand!
We love how easy this recipe is…even my husband can make it! Plus, it’s good for most meat!
I’ve tried this steak seasoning and I loved it so much! It’s my new favorite!
This steak seasoning looks delicious! Gonna make this!
This is amazing! I made this seasoning when I was barbecuing tonight! It was so delicious! I’m saving this to make again! Thank you!
Tried on ribeye steak and it’s a must have! Will definitely use this recipe in the future!
With all the grilling we’ve been doing in the last few weeks, you know we’ll be using this seasoning. So easy to make a batch and use.