This pumpkin chocolate chip bread is a tender loaf of lightly spiced bread made with pumpkin puree and plenty of chocolate chips. A one bowl recipe that takes just minutes to put together!
Pumpkin bread is a classic fall treat, and this version is simple to make and loaded with chocolate flavor. If you love pumpkin as much as I do, you also need to try my pumpkin dump cake and pumpkin fluff dip.
When the weather starts to turn cooler, there’s nothing better than a slice of pumpkin chocolate chip bread with a cup of tea. This pumpkin bread is so easy to make, and it only uses one bowl which cuts down on the dirty dishes. The hardest part is waiting for the bread to cool so that you can cut it!
How do you make pumpkin chocolate chip bread?
This is a basic recipe of flour, baking soda, spices, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil and pumpkin puree. Everything gets mixed together, along with a generous amount of chocolate chips, then the bread is baked to golden brown perfection.
Tips for pumpkin chocolate chip bread
- You can use semisweet, milk, or even white chocolate chips. You can also add up to 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to the batter if you like.
- Toss your chocolate chips in a bit of flour before you add them to the batter, that way they won’t sink to the bottom of the loaf.
- I like to decorate the top of my bread with more chocolate chips. If you decide to go that route, you’ll need to wait for the bread to cool before you turn it out of the loaf pan so that the chocolate chips will have time to set up and won’t smear. Run a knife along the sides of the pan while the bread is still warm, and you shouldn’t have any trouble inverting the pan later.
What spices are in pumpkin bread?
I find it easiest to use pumpkin pie spice in my pumpkin chocolate chip bread. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, mix 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon with small pinches of ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
How do you know when pumpkin bread is done?
The best way to tell if your pumpkin bread is done is to insert a skewer or toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs on it, the bread is ready to come out of the oven.
Can you freeze pumpkin bread?
This pumpkin bread freezes beautifully! You can double the recipe to have a whole extra loaf to freeze, or freeze leftover slices of bread. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap and place in a resealable bag in the freezer. Pumpkin bread can be frozen for up to 2 months.
My family goes crazy for this pumpkin bread, it’s moist, full of flavor and is so easy even my 7 year olds can make it! It’s the perfect dessert or after school snack.
More pumpkin delights
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Dip
- Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Video
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus more for coating chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips divided use
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8" x 4" loaf pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda in a large bowl; whisk to combine.
- Add the sugar, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Toss 1 cup of the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon flour. Stir the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then run a thin knife along the sides of the pan to loosen the bread.
- Let the bread cool in the pan, then invert, slice and serve.
This post was originally published on October 11, 2018 and was updated on August 29, 2019 with new content.
This was delicious! I had some leftover and toasted a couple of slices for breakfast and it was wonderful. This is my go to pumpkin bread recipe, thank you!
Looks delish but could i subistuite the oil with apple sauce
Yes that should be fine but the texture might be a little different!
I’ve made this a half a dozen times this season so far. Definitely my go to Punkin bread recipe. Everyone in the family loves it. What’s not to love, moist pumpkin bread with chocolate chips!
made this and it was gorgeous. want to make for a vegan friend, is it possible to use flax eggs with this recipe? if so, do you know if i need to make any alternations?? love this recipe 💖
I have never tested this with flax eggs so I’m not sure if it will work or not! So glad you enjoyed the recipe.
Best pumpkin bread recipe ever! I added a splash of milk and used cinnamon, cardamom and ginger instead of pumpkin spice and it was so good. The texture was just perfect. Thank you!
This slaps. I’ve made it four times, I think? Definitely the baking recipe I make the most, so good and *so* easy! thank you for writing this recipe :))
I have a 5″ round pie pan, or a 9×5″ bread loaf pan. Can I use the round pie pan?
I’d use the larger bread loaf pan and just reduce the cooking time.
This is my go to pumpkin chocolate receipe! Everyone loves it! I double it and make it pretty in a bundt pan or 2 loafs.
If you double the recipe and bake it in a Bundt, how long would you bake it for and at what temperature? Thank you.
I haven’t tested the recipe this way so it’s hard to say if it would work or not!
Hi! What are the storing instructions for this bread? Thanks you!
It will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for 3 days!
So good! I subbed brown butter for vegetable oil and used Trader Joe’s bourbon-vanilla extract and it was excellent. The texture of this bread is amazing, thank you!
For the calories is it 339 the loaf or just a slice?
It’s per slice!
Soooo yummy!!! I actually don’t agree with the other comment, I think the salt is fine. My husband and I had 5 slices last night between the two of us lol! I’m a sucker for pumpkin recipes so I have made a ton of pumpkin bread and this recipe definitely held up against the others. YUM😇
Definitely needs more salt than what’s called for, but very moist and flavorful otherwise