This recipe for a sausage and rice casserole is a one pot meal with sausages, rice and seasonal vegetables, all cooked together for a simple and quick dinner.
One pot meals are my favorite kind of meals, and this version features smoked sausages, corn, peppers and rice, all baked with plenty of seasonings.
It’s one pot meal time again! I just can’t resist. It’s so easy and convenient. Today I’ve got a one pot sausage and rice casserole for you. It’s full of chicken sausages, rice and summer vegetables like corn on the cob and bell peppers. As promised, it’s a complete meal in one pan – less dishes and the whole thing bakes in the oven so no babysitting a pot on the stove.
How do you make sausage and rice casserole?
The first thing to do is to select your sausage variety. I typically use an all natural chicken apple sausage because it’s my girls’ favorite, but this would also be good with something like kielbasa or andouille. You can’t really go wrong with your sausage selection, the rice base is neutral enough to work with almost any flavor. The sausage gets seared in a pan and is combined with rice, chicken stock, sauteed peppers and onions and corn. The whole thing goes into the oven and that’s it!
I used a short grain rice here because I like the texture for this dish but a long grain rice will work too. The kids enjoyed this sausage and rice casserole; I figured they’d get a a kick out of the corn on the cob wheels (they did!) and they’ll always eat chicken apple sausages. Most of my one pot meals involve chicken thighs so this was a nice change of pace. I’ll definitely be making this one all summer long while corn is in season. And as long as there’s sausage involved my kids will happily eat it!
More delicious casserole recipes
- Beef Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Sausage and Rice Casserole
- 1 pound of fully cooked chicken sausages (your choice of flavor)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups short grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small ears fresh corn husks and silks removed, cut into 1-inch rounds
- Cilantro leaves for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pierce sausage all over with the tip of a paring knife.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet along with onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in rice, then stock; season again with salt and pepper. Return sausage to pan and bring liquid to a boil. Add corn, cover, and bake until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 25 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Top with cilantro leaves.