This recipe for biscuit chicken pot pie is a creamy mixture of seasoned chicken, vegetables and herbs that’s been topped with flaky cheddar biscuits and baked to perfection.
Chicken pot pie is comfort food at its finest, and this version features the most delicious biscuit topping. For more hearty dishes, be sure to check out my stuffed green peppers, cabbage and sausage skillet and Cincinnati chili recipes!
Chicken pot pie is one of those classic dishes that seems to never go out of style. It also happens to be kid friendly, which of course is always a bonus in my book. This biscuit chicken pot pie is my version of the classic – I’ve eliminated the cream in the recipe and topped the chicken mixture with light and flaky cheddar biscuits!
How do you make biscuit chicken pot pie?
What’s the first step to making chicken pot pie? The chicken of course! You have a few options here – you can roast your own chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken. I roasted bone-in skin-on chicken breasts for this recipe. After the chicken is cooked and diced it gets combined with the veggies. I use a mixture of carrots, celery onion and peas but you could also add other vegetables like corn or potatoes if you prefer.
After the chicken and veggies have cooked, it’s time to make the sauce. The sauce is really simple – a little flour is added to the pan and then milk is added to make the creamy base. I use 1% milk for this recipe and it works perfectly.
While the chicken and vegetable mixture is cooking I make a simple biscuit dough that’s flavored with cheddar cheese and a touch of garlic. The biscuit dough gets spooned over the top of the chicken mixture and the whole thing goes into the oven until the biscuits are golden brown. Dinner perfection!
More delicious chicken recipes
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
- For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion , finely diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- For the biscuit topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
- For the filling:
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; sprinkle flour over vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in milk and broth. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add chicken, peas, salt, and pepper. If the sauce is too thick, add more chicken broth, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a 9 inch square pan that's been coated in cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- For the biscuits:
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the buttermilk and butter until a dough forms.Gently stir in the cheese.
- Drop the dough into 4 equal sized mounds over the chicken mixture.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired and serve.