These lasagna roll ups are lasagna noodles that are topped with ricotta cheese and meat sauce, then rolled up and baked to golden brown perfection. A unique and elegant way to serve lasagna!
Have you ever tried lasagna roll ups? It’s the same concept and flavors as lasagna, except everything is bundled up into individual rolls which makes for the perfect serving size. This dish can even be prepared in advance, which makes it perfect for special occasions when you need to feed a larger group of people.
How do you make lasagna roll ups?
Lasagna roll ups have the same components as regular lasagna: sauce, cheese and pasta. To make this recipe, first cook up some ground beef in a pan along with onions and garlic. Pour marinara sauce in the pan and let the whole everything simmer. While the sauce is cooking, make a cheese filling by combining ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
Spread the ricotta mixture over each lasagna noodle, then add a layer of meat sauce on top. Roll up each noodle, then place it in a baking pan. Add more sauce over the top, along with shredded cheese, then baked until golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve and enjoy!
Tips for the perfect lasagna roll ups
- When you cook large lasagna noodles, try to keep them from sticking together. Noodles that stick together may tear. In order to keep the noodles from sticking together, make sure to stir them occasionally while they are boiling. You can run some cold water over the noodles after draining them to help keep them separated.
- Don’t use packaged shredded cheese. It tends not to melt as well as freshly shredded cheese due to added anti-caking agents and preservatives.
- I recommend using 90% lean ground beef. It has plenty of flavor, but is not overly greasy.
- Lasagna roll ups can be assembled up to 8 hours before you plan to bake them.
Lasagna roll variations
This recipe is amazing as-is, but you can customize it to include your favorite flavors.
- Veggie Lovers: Omit the ground beef and instead use 1 1/2 cups of diced cooked vegetables such as mushrooms, carrots, zucchini and bell peppers.
- Spinach: Add 1/2 cup cooked and finely chopped spinach to the ricotta mixture. Make sure to squeeze any excess water from the spinach.
- Meat Lovers: Add 4 ounces of mild or hot Italian sausage to the sauce.
- Pizza Lovers: Add 1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoni to the sauce. You can also add other pizza toppings such as olives, mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Chicken: Swap out the ground beef for 1 1/2 cups finely chopped grilled chicken.
Can you freeze lasagna?
You can freeze lasagna. In fact, these lasagna rolls are particularly good for freezing as they are in individual portions. Just individually package the lasagna rolls and store them in an airtight container. Frozen rolls will stay good for 3 months.
These fun yet elegant lasagna rolls are easy to serve and fun to eat. This may become your new go-to lasagna recipe!
More delicious Italian recipes
Lasagna Roll Ups
For the sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef I use 90% lean
- 1/3 cup onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
For the ricotta mixture
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles cooked according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray.
For the sauce
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the meat, breaking it into small pieces with a spoon, for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
For the ricotta mixture
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, then stir until smooth
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Lay the lasagna noodles out on a flat surface. Spread a layer of ricotta mixture over each noodle.
- Reserve 1 cup of the meat sauce for topping the rolls. Spread the remaining meat sauce over each noodle.
- Roll up each noodle, then arrange them in the baking dish. Spoon the reserved sauce over the top and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then bake uncovered for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.