Make your own take-out with this recipe for orange beef stir fry. The recipe features sirloin steak cooked in a sweet and savory sauce and tossed with fresh orange segments. The sauce only has 4 ingredients!
I love a good stir fry for dinner and this orange beef is no exception. Best of all, it’s on the dinner table in no time and it’s kid friendly!
Stir fry is pretty much the ultimate quick meal – it cooks up in minutes and is typically fairly healthy too. This orange beef stir fry is no exception – it takes like something you’d get at your favorite chinese restaurant, but you can make it yourself in the time it would take you to load up the family to go out to dinner.
How do you make orange beef?
This recipe starts with thinly sliced beef. I used sirloin steaks but new york strip, ribeye or flank steak would work too. The trick to thinly slicing steak is to do it while the meat is partially frozen. If you’re starting with frozen meat, wait until it’s partially defrosted to start slicing, or if you have fresh meat pop it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes so that it can firm up.
The beef gets quickly seared in the pan and then it’s time for the sweet and savory sauce. Would you believe that this sauce only has 4 ingredients?! It’s true, this orange beef stir fry is all about the simplicity.
After the sauce and meat are done, fresh oranges and green onions are stirred into the mix. Add a sprinkle of sesame seeds and you’re done! Don’t forget to put up a pot of rice before you start cooking the meat, that way the rice will be done at the same time as the stir fry. It really does not get any easier than this orange beef stir fry, so the next time you’re thinking about ordering take-out put down the phone and get into the kitchen!
Still hungry? Follow Dinner at the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas!
More Stir Fry Recipes
- Teriyaki Pork Stir Fry
- Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
Orange Beef Stir Fry
- 2 oranges whole
- 2 oranges peeled and cut into segments
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds trimmed boneless sirloin ribeye or flank steak, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 green onions sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Steamed rice for serving
- Into a small bowl, grate the zest from 1 orange and squeeze the juice from 2 oranges. Add the garlic and soy sauce to the bowl. Mix the cornstarch with one tablespoon of cold water and add the cornstarch mixture to the bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches (adding more oil if needed), brown beef on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes; season the meat with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
- Pour juice mixture into skillet, and boil until syrupy, about 1 minute. Return beef to skillet; add orange segments and green onions. Toss until coated and heated through. Top with sesame seeds and serve with steamed rice if desired.
The beef came out very tender and flavorful! Nice that the whole family enjoyed this recipe!
This recipe is as good as take out! A new family favorite!