This recipe for veggie fried rice is chock full of colorful veggies and is ready in just 20 minutes! This vegetarian fried rice is the perfect quick and easy side dish that the whole family will love.
Lately I’ve really been embracing the “cook once, eat twice” motto – basically you cook enough food the first night to use all or some of the components in the second night’s dinner. It’s been a major time saver! This veggie fried rice is the very best way to take your leftovers and turn them into something special. I pair this vegetarian fried rice with P.F. Chang’s Signature Chicken Dumplings for a complete meal that my family absolutely loves!
I recently discovered these P.F. Chang’s Signature Chicken Dumplings in the freezer section of my local grocery store. These culinary delights are inspired by traditional Chinese dumplings and contain plenty of dark meat chicken along with some flavorful veggies. I love how the P.F. Chang’s Home Menu makes it so easy to enjoy restaurant-quality food at home. I like to stir things up on Wok Wednesdays and serve our P.F. Chang’s Home Menu favorites for dinner; I even fire up my wok for a more authentic experience!
I pair these dumplings with veggie fried rice for a fun and delicious meal that’s ready in no time. The dumplings also pair perfectly with the P.F. Chang’s Skillet Meals. The best part about this vegetarian fried rice is that it actually works perfectly to re-purpose leftovers into a flavorful dish. I use leftover cooked rice, along with odds and ends of vegetables that I have on hand. In this version I used onions, carrots, red bell peppers and peas, but feel free to use what you have. Other great veggie additions would be broccoli, mushrooms or even celery. The veggies are combined with the rice, scrambled eggs and seasonings for an easy side dish that goes perfectly with the dumplings.
I love when I can mix things up a bit at dinner time, and the P.F Chang’s Home Menu definitely makes that possible! Ready to shake up your Wednesday routine? Explore more Wok Wednesday inspiration here!
This post is sponsored by P.F. Chang’s Home Menu as part of the Mom It Forward Blogger Network. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Dinner at the Zoo possible.
Veggie Fried Rice
- 3 cups of cooked white or brown rice leftover rice is perfect!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil divided use
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large wok or skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and carrot to the pan, cook 3-5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the red bell pepper; cook 2-3 minutes more. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the vegetables from the pan, place them on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Pour the remaining teaspoon of oil into the pan; add the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up with a spatula until the eggs are scrambled and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice, reserved cooked veggies and frozen peas to the pan. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil and mix gently until everything is thoroughly combined and warmed through, 3-4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add more soy sauce if desired.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with sliced green onions if desired.