This hashbrown casserole is a mixture of creamy potatoes with plenty of melted cheese, all baked to golden brown perfection. A simple yet totally satisfying side dish that’s perfect for any occasion!
I love a good potato side dish, some of my favorites include baked potato wedges, grilled potato foil packets and this super easy hash brown casserole.
Hashbrowns are a breakfast staple, but when you combine them with butter, sour cream, seasonings and cheese, they get even better! This hashbrown casserole is a family favorite and it takes just minutes to put together. You can even prep it ahead of time, which makes this dish a great addition to any gathering.
How do you make hashbrown casserole?
This dish is a blend of thawed hashbrowns, cheddar cheese, butter, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, onions and seasonings. Everything gets mixed together and then is spread into a casserole dish. A generous helping of cheese goes over the top, then the casserole goes into the oven to bake. Top your casserole with a sprinkling of parsley, then enjoy!
Tips for hashbrown casserole
- I use a bag of frozen hashbrowns which I thaw. You can also use freshly shredded potatoes, or refrigerated uncooked hashbrowns.
- Be sure to mince your onion finely for this dish, as you only want small pieces in each bite.
- While I love this recipe with cheddar cheese, you can also make it with colby, Monterey Jack or a blend of cheeses.
- To make this dish in advance, simply prepare the recipe, then store the casserole in the refrigerator covered with foil until you’re ready to bake it. You can assemble your casserole up to 6 hours before to plan to bake it.
- This casserole feeds a crowd, but can easily be halved and baked in an 8 or 9 inch square pan.
- I top my hashbrown casserole with a sprinkling of parsley for added color and flavor, but other herbs will work work such as chives or dill.
Hashbrown Casserole Variations
I love to serve this casserole as-is, but sometimes I add other ingredients to turn my hashbrowns into a main course.
- Meat: Add 1 1/2 cups cooked sausage, cubed ham or diced chicken.
- Vegetables: Add 1 1/2 cups cooked vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms or broccoli.
- Toppings: You can add additional toppings to your casserole, one popular option is to use crushed cornflakes mixed with butter. You could also use crushed buttery crackers as a topping or even cooked crumbled bacon.
How do you reheat hashbrown casserole?
The best way to reheat your casserole is to cover the pan with foil and place it in a 325 degrees F oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until leftovers are heated through and cheese is melted.
This hashbrown casserole is really perfect for any occasion. It makes for a great side dish at dinner time or a welcome addition to any brunch menu. There are so many different ways to customize your casserole that you’ll never be bored. I find that this recipe is a huge hit with friends and family time and time again!
More great casserole recipes
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Corn Casserole
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Hash Brown Egg Casserole
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- 2 lb bag frozen hashbrowns thawed
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 10 1/2 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup onion finely diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided use
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9"x13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the hashbrowns, butter, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 1 cup of cheddar cheese in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the hashbrown mixture into the prepared pan. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
Yum!! I’ve never even heard of a hashbrown casserole before this. I LOVE a good potato side dish too.
This casserole looks absolutely delicious! What a fun and comforting recipe to make for the family over the weekend. Delicious idea, Sara!
Thanks for sharing about this delicious casserole. It looks awesome.
Wow, I have never tried this recipe looks really delicious and easy. I will try to make this for my kids, thanks for sharing!
This is so delicious and so easy to prepare. You gave me an another dish idea to prepare for our dinner tonight, thanks for sharing!
What a perfectly cheesy side dish! Love how easy it is to make, too!
I have a question, so I stead of the chicken soup what can I use to make this vegetarian without compromising the flavor? Otherwise this looks delicious. Thanks
I would use cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup, whichever you prefer!
I bet this taste amazing as it sounds. I love Hashbrowns!
My sister-in-law makes a hashbrown casserole, and I always forget to get her recipe! I’ll have to try this! It looks amazing!
This looks like the most deliciously satisfying dish. The ultimate comfort food dish for sure.
Hashbrowns used to be my jam, especially the ones from McDonald’s! But for some reason, I can’t find them here in Spain so I gave up on looking for them. Thank you so much for this recipe!
This sounds so delicious. Definitely trying this one out this week.
I super love hashbrown but never tried hashbrown casserole! I will try this for sure. Thanks a lot for the recipe.
Cant wait to try this on Saturday! I love hashbrowns, so this looks amazing.
Hmm yum! This hashbrown casserole looks soooooo delicious. Can’t wait to try this!
Casseroles are great too cook. It looks very pretty, fairly easy to make and it looks good on a place and before it.
Okay My mouth is watering now. I need this hashbrown casserole in my life.
These type of completely oven baked dishes are my favorites: fast and good!
That is the best side dish I’ve ever seen! I love all that cheesy potato goodness. Om nom nom.
This looks oh so good. I love it! I think I’m going to make one soon