These fajita chicken cheesesteak sandwiches are full of spiced chicken, peppers and lots of cheese, all on a toasted roll.
Philly cheesesteak sandwiches are a classic favorite, and this is a twist on the original version with Mexican spiced chicken instead of steak.
Despite my best efforts at staying organized there are just some days when things don’t go as planned. Even when life gets hectic dinner still needs to be served each and every night. I always keep chicken in my freezer because my kids love it, but sometimes I get busy and I don’t take it out of the freezer in time to thaw. There’s nothing worse than going to start dinner at 5:00 and finding an icy block of chicken in the fridge! When I was at the grocery store the other day I came across Foster Farms Sauté Ready chicken in the freezer section. The Sauté Ready chicken is pre-cut, pre-seasoned raw chicken pieces that can be cooked from frozen in 10 minutes with no thawing required. It’s the perfect solution for nights when you need to get dinner on the table in a flash.
I went with fajita chicken because my family loves Mexican food, but this chicken also comes in Garlic Herb and Asian flavors. Each bag has 7 servings of chicken, which means that you can just take out what you need and store the rest in the freezer for another night. I wanted to do something a little different than your standard fajitas and I came up with this fajita chicken cheesesteak sandwich that’s a fun way to change up a classic dish.
How do you make chicken cheesesteak sandwiches?
The first step in the process is to cook up your fajitas. I started by cooking a red onion and some mixed peppers in a pan. After the vegetables started to soften I added in the Foster Farms Sauté Ready chicken and a little lime juice.
I could have eaten this chicken and pepper mixture as-is, but I made it even better by piling it on top of a roll and adding a sprinkling of cheese. After a quick trip through the broiler the sandwiches were ready to serve.
If you’d like you can finish off your sandwiches with a sprinkling of cilantro and a squeeze of lime for an extra pop of flavor. I have to say, I think I may prefer these cheesesteaks to the original style of fajitas. My whole family loved them too, there’s nothing better than a dinner that everyone will happily eat and enjoy!
I’m so glad to have another option for days when I need dinner in a hurry. This chicken is low-fat, high protein and all natural with no added hormones or steroids, which means you can feel good about feeding it to your family. I’m sure your whole family will love this recipe – I mean, who would complain about all that cheese?!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Foster Farms Sauté Ready.
More Mexican inspired recipes
Fajita Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups of mixed sliced peppers (I used red, yellow and orange bell peppers as well as a poblano pepper)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 14 ounces of Foster Farms Sauté Ready fajita marinated chicken 1/2 bag
- 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 4 in sandwich rolls cut half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro optional
- lime wedges for serving optional
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan and place it over medium high heat. Add the onions and peppers and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables have started to soften
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned and cooked through. Stir in the lime juice.
- Preheat the broiler. Divide the chicken and pepper mixture evenly over the rolls and top each sandwich with 1/4 cup cheese. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with chopped cilantro if desired and serve immediately with lime wedges on the side if using.